Plextor PX-760A

Movie Junkie

Some interesting features;

Features

AUTOSTRATEGY: The best DVD Quality

For the best writing quality, the drive's AUTOSTRATEGY technology selects the optimized write strategy for every DVD disc and, if necessary, creates a new write strategy for unknown media. (DVD+/-R)

A separate database stores all strategies that are created by the AUTOSTRATEGY function for media that is not currently supported in the firmware. A maximum of 31 write strategies can be held in the non-volatile memory of the drive. The entries can be activated or de-activated, and deleted. The list of database entries can be viewed and saved or printed.

The user can select the write strategy from the AUTOSTRATEGY database or from the database that resides in the drive's firmware by activating a different Mode.

Remark: This function is only available for DVD+R and DVD-R media (4X and higher).

1. Auto Selection Mode:

The drive will select the best write strategy, whether it is located in the AUTOSTRATEGY database or in the firmware database. If no suitale strategy is found, AUTOSTRATEGY will create a new, optimized strategy in the database.

2. AUTOSTRATEGY On Mode (Forced):

The drive will create a new write strategy for every new recording, whether a corresponding strategy exists already in the firmware or not.

3. AUTOSTRATEGY On Mode:

The drive will use the write strategies from the AUTOSTRATEGY database for recording. If no suitable strategy is found, a corresponding write strategy from the firmware's database will be used.

4. AUTOSTRATEGY Off Mode:

The drive will only use the write strategies from the firmware's database for recording. If no corresponding write strategy is found, the default write strategy will be used.

Media Quality Check

To assure you're receiving the best results with your drive, this function checks the quality of blank media.

Write strategy creation

This function offers to create a new write strategy for your blank media. The drive will create a new write strategy in the AUTOSTRATEGY database without recording a disc. It is possible to create several write strategies for the same media, which can be useful if there is a quality difference among media with the same MID code.

PlexEraser

PlexEraser is a data destruction utility that makes a recorded CD-R or DVD disc unreadable. The drive will "re-record" over the Lead-in and data sectors of a write once disc rendering the disc data unusable. Initially this feature will support DVD+/-R and CD-R media. Firmware upgrades will add support for DVD+/-R DL media.

SecureRecording

The SecureRecording function lets you write on a CD-R disc and protect the data with a password. To view the contents of a password-protected disc-or even to see a catalog of files-the user must enter the correct password. The password can be entered via PlexTools Professional software, or with SecuViewer software.

Buffer underrun proof

The buffer underrun proof technologies offer a solution to prevent writing failures during the burning process for CD and DVD by pausing the burn if the data to the drive write buffer is slowed or stopped. The drive resumes the burn process after the drive write buffer is refilled.

Silent mode

If the drive needs to be used in a quiet environment, the drive can be switched to silent mode. Unique technology that sets the drive for super-silent operation. By controlling access speed, read/write speed, and tray opening and closing speed, you reduce drive noise to a whisper. This technology is excellent for recording studios or offices where low noise is required.

SpeedRead

Enable reading CD-R media up to the maximum speed of the drive. Discs that may be damaged due to mishandling or improper use may shatter due to the higher rotational forces reached at the maximum read speed of the drive. The drive's maximum read speed is therefore limited as a safety function. SpeedRead enables the user to increase the read speed of the drive to the maximum possible. Plextor recommends examining each disc before enabling this function.

GigaRec

GigaRec lets you change the recording capacity of a standard CD-R disc from 70 percent up to 130 percent of its standard capacity. You can use GigaRec for CD-DA or data writing at 4X and 8X disc-at-once (DAO). The feature allows you to get that extra storage on a single disc for a larger project. For smaller projects, like an audio master, the feature enables you to use the entire capacity of the disc, increasing the size of the pits and lands for higher reproductive quality.

VariRec

VariRec provides user adjustment of the recording power above or below a default level. The default level reflects an optimized laser power setting with reduced jitter. Changing this setting will result in a change of sound or sound quality and may increase the playability or compatibility with existing players.

Q-Check

PlexTools Professional software provides a suite of diagnostic tests for blank and recorded media. The pre-recording tests of blank media allow you to choose the best media brands and recording parameters for your drive. The post-recording tests quantify the recording session and provide analyzer-type results to guarantee you're getting the best recording possible.

PoweRec

Plextor Optimized Writing Error Reduction Control (PoweRec) adjusts laser power and writing speed so they're at the optimum settings for that particular disc. Using real-time monitoring of the write data, PoweRec can increase or decrease write power and speed to guarantee the best possible writing quality with whatever brand media is used.

PlexTools Professional

This software tool offers a complete suite of recording applications and supports your drive's advanced quality check functions. Advanced drive settings such as GigaRec or Silent Mode can be changed. High quality audio extraction, various recording modes, and copying of files or disc images can be selected. Media testing with the drive's Q-Check function allows you to select the best media for your drive and examine the quality of your recordings. (www.plextools.com)

PlexTools Professional XL

Based on the existing solid code of PlexTools Professional, PlexTools Professional XL offers more features and extra options. The new layout with resizable windows and improved graphs, enhanced audio functions and project options, as well as the unique update check system, is designed and tuned for the demanding user. (www.plextools.com)

Last I heard it was scheduled for a NA release about the end of March, it looks good to me also.
That release date is probably correct. I was told "around April" by someone in their tech support today.

If you haven't do so yet, take a look at the data sheet for it. The only DL discs that are recommended are Verbatim (both - DL and + DL). In fact the Verbs are the only discs that are recommended in each catagory of DVD and CD (there are others recommended but no other company is listed in each catagory.

Taiyo Yuden are the one's making the discs that will burn at 18X(+R's) for Plex(initially, more may follow). That was one reason why it's been delayed. Taiyo doesn't make RW's or DL's, so I that's why their not on those lists. I like the idea of PlexEraser, will save my microwave a little work :lol: , those bastards stink to high heaven if you leave them in too long.

all the bells and whistles are nice and all quest for faster and faster but arent we seeing with the graphs that the best burned discs are at slower speeds? The Plex does have some neat options ,they do a lot of talking about write stratigies for media that isn't supported in the firmware and creating stratgey for discs that arent covered, all well and good but theres 1 Law in burning cheap media is crap as we all know and then they only reccommend Verbs and Yudens just as we've been saying for ages .There's a lot of hype on this drive but ask yourself how much of it will you use and whats going to be the cost? Hell I'm thinking of dusting off my Sony DRU 510A 4x and burning some stuff with it, all the dvd's I burned with Ritek GO4 a few years ago still play perfect ,but it seems Ritek were making better discs then :thumbup:

all the bells and whistles are nice and all quest for faster and faster but arent we seeing with the graphs that the best burned discs are at slower speeds? The Plex does have some neat options ,they do a lot of talking about write stratigies for media that isn't supported in the firmware and creating stratgey for discs that arent covered, all well and good but theres 1 Law in burning cheap media is crap as we all know and then they only reccommend Verbs and Yudens just as we've been saying for ages .There's a lot of hype on this drive but ask yourself how much of it will you use and whats going to be the cost? Hell I'm thinking of dusting off my Sony DRU 510A 4x and burning some stuff with it, all the dvd's I burned with Ritek GO4 a few years ago still play perfect ,but it seems Ritek were making better discs then :thumbup:
I agree with everything you've said. I still burn the DVD5 discs at 4x and the DVD9 discs at 2.4x. Even with the new drive that won't change. I need to replace one of my Sony drives and I feel i want to get the best so I'm going with the Plextor.

look at the results for all the better media codes in all those tests, if the

plex 716 can't beat the rest, why do you think the new one will?

The 716 is, if I remember right, older than most if not all of the other drives that have been tested. It has always been a true workhorse. I believe the company puts out a quality product and also stands behind it.

All of that said I will not purchase it when it's first released. I will give it a bit of time to see if there are problems. Hopefully LUK will be able to test it.

look at the results for all the better media codes in all those tests, if the

plex 716 can't beat the rest, why do you think the new one will?

The 716 is, if I remember right, older than most if not all of the other drives that have been tested. It has always been a true workhorse. I believe the company puts out a quality product and also stands behind it.

All of that said I will not purchase it when it's first released. I will give it a bit of time to see if there are problems. Hopefully LUK will be able to test it.

yeah Plextor has a great rep ,a little more expensive than others but not enough to break the bank.Its a good idea to wait a little to let them iron out the bugs and release a few new firmwares and with the wait the price will drop a little .I've found that WWW.newegg.com usually has the new drives first and at good prices their delivery is the best of any retailers I've done buissness with, and hassle free customer support.I have a NEC3500 that I really like flawless burns to Yudens and Verbs I havent burned a coaster in a really long time .I have a Pioneer Rom 115 thats older than sin running original firmware that reads 99.99% of whatever I put in it and what it doesn't read (less than 5discs ) the 3500 reads fine :thumbup:

yeah Plextor has a great rep ,a little more expensive than others but not enough to break the bank.Its a good idea to wait a little to let them iron out the bugs and release a few new firmwares and with the wait the price will drop a little .I've found that WWW.newegg.com usually has the new drives first and at good prices their delivery is the best of any retailers I've done buissness with, and hassle free customer support.I have a NEC3500 that I really like flawless burns to Yudens and Verbs I havent burned a coaster in a really long time .I have a Pioneer Rom 115 thats older than sin running original firmware that reads 99.99% of whatever I put in it and what it doesn't read (less than 5discs ) the 3500 reads fine :thumbup:
I have been shopping at NewEgg for almost 2 years now without any problems. While they don't always have the best prices I will still buy their products simply because of their great service. :thumbup:

Guest Sebastian Mares

The German magazine c't didn't say much positive stuff about the PX-750A and PX-755A. While the PX-750A is a rebranded device, the PX-755A is a real Plextor and it didn't perform very well (high error rates) with most media.

c't uses a CATS system to check for errors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.