/OVERWRITE switch ignored...

Barbaresco

Hello ImgBurn Support Forum,

I am writting a batch file to backup some files to DVD+RW. I have been assuming that the /OVERWRITE YES switch setting should prevent the "This disc is not empty. All data on the disc will be overwritten! Do you want to continue? Yes | No" dialog box from appearing. I'm using the switch but the dialog keeps appearing...something, somewhere, is not right :-) Here is the Log and batch file. Any help much appreciated.

I 23:39:36 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 23:39:36 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 23:39:36 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,520 KB - Available: 1,326,128 KB

I 23:39:36 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:39:36 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:39:36 Found 1 DVD

Don't assume, read the 'ReadMe.txt' file.

OK clever-clogs, I get the gist...A self-taught man...or woman, is one who will retain that knowledged gained. Quite right, I was being lazy :-D

So, for anyone else listening...

The answer was:

1. Fire up ImgBurn manually, by hand and mouse.

2. Check the "Don't Prompt Overwrite Media" box on the Write tab of the Tools | Settings dialog.

3. Change the /NOSAVESETTINGS to /SETTINGS "<filename>"

4. Run the batch file and answer the "Overwrite?" dialog and let the operation finish, thereby writing the settings file in 3 ( which didn't exist ) which will contain the now checked "Don't Prompt Overwrite Media" setting.

5. Add back /NOSAVESETTINGS to prevent Father-in-Law from messing with the settings file created in 4 and causing support headache.

Thanks for making me do it myself LIGHTNING UK, I feel a warm sense of satisfaction inside. I like your style.

Donation in the post.

B

No, the answer was '/ERASE' !

Der, why would I want to /ERASE, wouldn't that wipe the whole disc? All I'm trying to do is overwrite a file if it currently exists on the disc, I don't want to loose the rest of them.

Yours in confusion,

B

Seems we have our wires crossed.

I thought you just wanted to prevent the box from popping up and just go straight into the burn... and for that you'd use the /ERASE switch (which on a DVD+RW doesn't really happen because the sectors are simply overwritten).

What you actually want is something called 'multi-session' (adding to an existing disc) and ImgBurn doesn't support it.

So basically, you're out of luck.

btw, the 'Don't Prompt Overwrite Media' option is the same as using /ERASE via CLI.

So anything you've used it on will have been totally overwritten with the new image/data.

Seems we have our wires crossed.

I thought you just wanted to prevent the box from popping up and just go straight into the burn... and for that you'd use the /ERASE switch (which on a DVD+RW doesn't really happen because the sectors are simply overwritten).

What you actually want is something called 'multi-session' (adding to an existing disc) and ImgBurn doesn't support it.

So basically, you're out of luck.

btw, the 'Don't Prompt Overwrite Media' option is the same as using /ERASE via CLI.

So anything you've used it on will have been totally overwritten with the new image/data.

Ah, yes, I see. The use of the two terms is a bit confusing, to me at least. Thanks for clearing that up. Back to the drawing board...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.