Problem viewing movies

p_floyd74

I've been having problems recently watching movies on my dvd players. I had some verbatim discs that constantly freeze up on my dvd players but not on my pc. Now I have some TDK discs that work fine on my pc but freeze halfway through on my dvd players. I've burned discs in the past without problems but now I'm having issues with almost every disc. They all burn successfully they just don't seem to work on my dvd players. Any suggestions?

Here's the log for one of my verbatim discs:

I 08:50:07 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 08:50:07 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 08:50:07 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,784 KB - Available: 1,021,368 KB

I 08:50:07 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:50:07 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:50:07 Found 1 DVD

It might be a good idea to have the verify option turned on so you know that the burned disc was a good burn or not (that the burner can read the disc back).

If you put a burned disc that jumps/freezes back in the burner and run the Read mode - do you get any errors/issues then?

You say that it freezes half way in to the movie - is that on the same spot as the layer break is set to (you should know where the layerbreak is set if you used the preview function when you sat the layer break).

:)

Okay I ran read mode on a disc I had just burned and it read the disc fine. I didn't use the preview function to see where the layer break was on the disc. I assume it freezes at the layer break because about halfway through the movie it just freezes and if I try to skip to a scene anywhere past the halfway point it freezes. I updated imgburn and burned the disc again with the same results. Oh and if you mean I can burn from the original disc directly to a blank I can't do that I only have one dvd drive. Here's the log from the disc I just burned again:

I 16:57:46 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 16:57:46 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 16:57:46 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,784 KB - Available: 946,444 KB

I 16:57:46 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:57:46 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:57:47 Found 1 DVD

It was a good burn, so either the problem is in the source files or your DVD players don't like burned media :unsure:

How many players do you have? All of them can't read the disc? Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on them?

I have 2 dvd players and my xbox 360. My dvd players completely freeze about halfway through and wont let me skip to any scenes beyond the 2nd half of the movie. The 360 will let me skip to those scenes but freezes up a lot on those scenes. My pc has no problem playing the dvd. When I backup a dvd I use DVDDecrypter first. Then with dual layer movies I use ImgBurn to create the image file then burn the disc. I've never had problems until recently.

The log from you actually creating the image would be useful.

I say this because you could quite easily have just clicked the option to ignore the layer break options in the box rather than selecting a cell like you're supposed to.

Beyond that, you might not be getting decent quality burns with the media you're using (in your 2nd log), that's why we recommend MKM-001-00 dye discs.

If it burns and verifies ok, your PC should at least be able to play it ok (and you say it can, so that's good). Have you tried a cleaning disc in your players? (mmalves asked this same question in his previous post)

If I were you, I'd buy a new burner and see if that one is any better. Something like a Pioneer 217 would do the trick.

No I haven't tried cleaning my players. They work fine on my older dual layer burns and on my single layer discs. I'll give it a shot though. It could be my media... I've used tdk in the past and they worked fine. These discs look different than my others though. I got them from newegg.com and they got good reviews. I'll try buying verbatim again next time and see if I have better luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.