Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
inferno133

Imgburn error, entry point not found

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I've never had a minute's problem with Imgburn in all the years I've used it, I've just upgraded to 2.5.6.0 last night though and keept getting 1 of 2 different errors on start up, or when I right click an image and 'burn with imgburn'.

 

I get either The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic Link Library KERNEL32.dll

 

OR

 

The procedure entry point ConvertToGlobalHandle could not be located in the dynamic Link Library KERNEL32.dll

 

If I click okay then Imgburn loads but I'm worried that my burns will be unsuccessful or hit & miss. I've tried two burns and theyve been ok but obviously I'd prefer not to have a warning come up every time I open. No other burning or shrink type program is affected.

 

I've reinstalled twice and also 'ran as admin' when installing just in case

 

The log seems okay too and makes no mention!

 

 

I 12:14:45 ImgBurn Version 2.5.6.0 started!

I 12:14:45 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 12:14:45 Total Physical Memory: 1,965,368 KB - Available: 1,050,676 KB

I 12:14:46 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:14:46 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:14:46 -> Drive 1 - Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A SB02 (E:) (ATA)

I 12:14:46 -> Drive 2 - Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A SB02 (F:) (ATA)

I 12:14:46 Found 2 DVD±RW/RAMs!

 

Any help appreciated

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances are, those errors don't come from ImgBurn at all. If errors like that really existed in the program, the forum would be flooded with similar reports :)

 

Typically errors like that when a program starts will totally prevent it from loading - obviously that isn't the case here.

 

So I'm thinking it's actually some sort of scanning software that's kicking in when you run ImgBurn and it is what's got the problem, not ImgBurn itself.

 

Try booting into SafeMode and then run ImgBurn to see if that works without an error.

 

You also need to install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 by the looks of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The error comes from ImgBurn, but it's not really ImgBurn's fault.

 

I ran into a similar symptom running ImgBurn under WinXP 32-bit. In my case, the missing dynalink error dialog box on ImgBurn startup was caused by a copy of the Win9x-specific SvrAPI.dll in the c:\Windows\system32\ directory.

 

SvrAPI.dll dynalinks to the Win9x Kernel32.dll's ConvertToGlobalHandle() API. But the Kernel32.dll of NT-based Windows OSes, like WinXP and Win7, doesn't export ConvertToGlobalHandle(). So if you try to load the Win9x SvrAPI.dll on an NT-based Windows OS, you get a missing dynalink error dialog box. Removing c:\Windows\system32\SvrAPI.dll, which is not used under NT-based Windows OSes, fixes the problem.

 

Under Win9x, SvrAPI.dll exports the subset of the Net...() APIs available on that platform. Under NT-based Windows OSes, NetAPI32.dll exports a much fuller set of the Net...() APIs. ImgBurn, correctly, attempts to explicitly load some OS-specific DLLs via LoadLibrary(), like SvrAPI.dll and NetAPI32.dll.

 

This issue is not really a bug in ImgBurn since SvrAPI.dll should typically not be installed on an NT-based Windows system. However, ImgBurn could work around this issue by attempting to load NetAPI32.dll first and only attempting to load SvrAPI.dll after NetAPI32.dll fails to load. It looks like the explicit loading of SvrAPI.dll was added in ImgBurn 2.5.6.0. ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 does not attempt to explicitly load SvrAPI.dll, and so does not generate the missing dynalink error dialog box.

 

LIGHTNING UK!, thank you for a really great program. ImgBurn's combination of power and ease-of-use is a testament to its excellent design.

Edited by Pin Head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing in my code that uses svrapi at all.

 

I have found that it's loaded by one of the 3rd party components though.

 

I can't imagine it wasn't also loaded in 2.5.5.0 as the component hasn't been updated in quite a while now.

 

I've modified the code of said component to only attempt to load it on non NT based OS's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ASCII string "SVRAPI.DLL" does not appear in the unpacked 2.5.5.0 ImgBurn.exe, but does appear in the unpacked 2.5.6.0 ImgBurn.exe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm weird, 2.5.5.0 was released after the most recent release of the component. Maybe I just hadn't updated it because the changelog only mentioned one thing and it wasn't for my development environment.

 

Anyway, it's all fixed now ready for the next release.

 

Oh and Pin Head, I forgot to say 'Thanks!' for doing all the leg work when you ran into the issue. :)

 

Being told it was related to svrapi really helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to help. It was simple to track down the cause of the issue since I had a reproducible scenario at hand. It's considerate of you to add a work-around so quickly, especially considering this isn't really ImgBurn's bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.