I'd like some help with Layer Break Positions

waydown

I've burnt my fair share of movies (VIDEO_TS folders) on dual layer discs and never had much of a problem with Layer Breaks until now. I'd normally get many green star recommendations/layer break positions where the menus are which made the whole thing simple.

Yet, for some reason, I am currently stuck with some movies I don't really know what to do with. Here are two examples:

1.post-46077-0-35145200-1371571352_thumb.jpg

2.post-46077-0-31042000-1371571357_thumb.jpg

Both suggested positions, in both cases, show a noticeable pause in between the layers upon trying to preview them. I've done my research by reading many threads about layer breaks and SLIP etc yet I am still confused (especially since I see pauses during preview no matter what I pick).

1.Since I get a visible pause in every case, does that mean that pause would necessarily also be visible in the burnt disc as well?

2. Doesn't "SPLIP:YES" mean seamless i.e it is guaranteed I will get NO pause if I burn the disc? Should I go and pick these positions even if they are rated lower? Why is that by the way?

Look at the actual video content around those points. If the scene changes at the layer break, you won't notice it. If it's in the middle of a fast moving action scene, you will.

If SPLIP is 'no', it's an indication that position was the original layer break point - therefore it scores extra points.

Thanks for your reply LIGHTNING UK!

Look at the actual video content around those points. If the scene changes at the layer break, you won't notice it. If it's in the middle of a fast moving action scene, you will.

Well it's not an action packed scene per se and it's in between scenes indeed yet I do notice a pause either at the first scene's ending or at the second scene's beginning, at least by using preview. Is there any chance this occurs in the application's preview mode only and not in the actual burn?

If SPLIP is 'no', it's an indication that position was the original layer break point - therefore it scores extra points.

Like, in the original dvd eh? Shouldn't that mean no pause? Original layer break point aside, would choosing the "SPLIP:yes" position mean I would definitely avoid the pause no matter what since, unless I got something wrong, "SPLIP:yes" = seamless = no pause?

Basically I wanna make sure I don't burn a dvd with a pause during the layer change. I don't know why every suggested position is relatively poor in those two dvds (and some others) and results in noticeable pauses during previewing, this has not been the case until now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.