Unable to burn DVDs

patinoki

Hello,

I have spent hours going through the FAQ and user guides. I now have about 25 fragile frisbees. I am using a Sony PCG-GRT360ZG Notebook computer. It has a Sony DVD RW DW-54A DVD drive. The IMGBURN support section recommended using Verbatim disks. I purchased 16X DVD+R DVDs and when I try to use them a pop-up says: Device Not ready (incompatible medium installed) The log shows the following:

I 14:09:22 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 14:09:22 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 14:09:22 Total Physical Memory: 521,708 KB - Available: 77,888 KB

I 14:09:22 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:09:22 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:09:22 Found 1 DVD

I would definitely upgrade your firmware to 2.5b and see if that fixes the issue, at the moment your drive doesn't like those discs and a firmware upgrade could well fix it ! You can grab the fw update from here, I use www.rpc1.org for all my drives to update their fw so don't worry about it.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1859

I would definitely upgrade your firmware to 2.5b and see if that fixes the issue, at the moment your drive doesn't like those discs and a firmware upgrade could well fix it ! You can grab the fw update from here, I use www.rpc1.org for all my drives to update their fw so don't worry about it.

Trying to figure out how to do a reply and may have made early replies. Ifcrule1972,

I went to the Sony web site and when I treied to download the firmware it told me that i didn't have that drive. I am hesitant about loading a firmware when I don't have a copy of the original to go back to. The last time I did a BIOS upgrade on a desktop it totally trashed it beyond recovery.

Trying to figure out how to do a reply and may have made early replies. Ifcrule1972,

I went to the Sony web site and when I treied to download the firmware it told me that i didn't have that drive. I am hesitant about loading a firmware when I don't have a copy of the original to go back to. The last time I did a BIOS upgrade on a desktop it totally trashed it beyond recovery.

Ifcrule1972,

I clicked on the link that you provided and it sent me to the Sony web site when I tried to pownload the firmware. Again it told me that I had the wrong disk type.

Looks like i figured out how to do the replies.

That drive is probably more trouble than it's worth.

You don't have a v2 drive, that's why the v2.5 firmware won't work. v1.5a is the latest available for your one.

Get yourself an external drive, or just buy any old IDE drive and stick it in a USB->IDE enclosure.

That drive is probably more trouble than it's worth.

You don't have a v2 drive, that's why the v2.5 firmware won't work. v1.5a is the latest available for your one.

Get yourself an external drive, or just buy any old IDE drive and stick it in a USB->IDE enclosure.

Lightning UK,

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that there was a parameter that i didn't set right. Tried many options. i will have to look at an external USB drive.

Hello,

Hello. :)

I 13:14:06 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 1x, 2x)

Regardless of what the brand name of the media is, what's important is the dye used which can be found in the media ID above. CMC media rates about 1 out of 10 as far as quality goes. They really are garbage. I see you've bought some Verbatims :thumbup: which are pretty much all we use here. The CMCs would be best just to be thrown into the bin and written off as a lesson learned. In the experience of everyone here they have a 99% failure rate - whether that's immediately failing to verify or failing after a week, a month or a few months. They really are *that* bad. Chuck 'em out and just use the Verbs or Taiyo Yudens if you can find them.

Lightning UK,

Today I tried to use the Verbatin DVD+R using Fedora Core 6. It failed. I went on base and purchased Verbatim DVD-R disk and used the xcdroast progam to successufully burn the DVD. I used the system hardware tool and it showed the drive with firmware version 1.5a and no drivers.

I rebooted with the DVD and ran a successfull media check.

I rebooted into windows and used your program and successfully made a DVD which I used to install version 7 of redhat fedra core.

Looks like I don't need an external drive.

Mcfartfinger,

This reminds me of the old Monkees song "I'M A BELEIVER". Verbatim disk for me.

Your program log follows:

I 12:38:50 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 12:38:50 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 12:38:50 Total Physical Memory: 521,708 KB - Available: 105,448 KB

I 12:38:50 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:38:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:38:50 Found 1 DVD

You're still really limiting yourself by using that drive.

The media is rated at 16x and your drive will only do 2x at best.

The Verbatim DVD+R discs are also better than the DVD-R ones.

The opposite is true for Taiyo Yuden where the DVD-R ones are better than the DVD+R ones.

with the right/decent media and a good external USB or Firewire drive you will burn discs all day at 8x :thumbup: , all the laptops ive had will only write at 4x max on the internal drive, but using external USB and Firewire drives i acheive 8x everytime, i dare say i could hit 10x if i bought faster media , and thats using -R taiyo's , if i went the +R route i dont know how fast i could go. but certainly above the 8x i get now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.