Using Layer Jump Recording With a Verbatim DVD-R DL

m02a

Hi,

I know that if I need to change the Layer Break, I need a DVD+R not -R. While searching in Google, I found out that I can burn the DVD-R successfully using an option called Layer Jump Recording under the Write tab. I have ImgBurn 2.4.1.0, but the problem is that I don't seem to find this option anywhere!! :unsure: Is it not available anymore or it's just automatically enabled?

note: when I try to burn after I change the layer break, a message appears that says: "Cannot set the layer break position when burning DVD-R DL media."

Edited by m02a

Thanks for the quick reply Lightning UK!, but is there any simple guides here about rebuilding iso images? To tell the truth, I'm trying to burn an Xbox 360 backup game that I made but I happen to have a DVD-R DL.

Oh.. I see.. I'll have to order online then since they don't sell DVD+R where I live. Thanks for the help Lightning UK!, I really appreciate it :) , and thanks for the wonderful program

Hello again,

Not that I don't believe you about the Layer Jump Recording, but I tried it using a version 1.3.0.0 of ImgBurn anyway, and a Verbatim DVD-R DL and the game worked on my Xbox 360. though it was some kinda slow in loading a cutscenes, it was successful nevertheless. I was wondering, why did it work? Is it because of Layer Jump Recording or DVD-R DL works when used for backups despite what people say? and why is it slow? is it because I used an old version of ImgBurn or because I used a DVD-R DL instead of a DVD+R DL?

Any thoughts? :huh:

Used:

Sony NEC Optiarc RW AD-5170A ATA 1.14 booktyped to DVD-ROM

Verbatim DVD-R DL @ 2.4x

ImgBurn 1.3.0.0 using a modified Layer Break and Layer Jump Recording on

Dead or Alive 4 -PAL version-

Benq Xbox 360 Drive

Edited by m02a

Sigh, now you're gonna make me have to explain it....

On DVD+R DL the sector numbers (LBA) are continuous, on DVD-R DL they're not.

So if you have 0 - 9 on layer 1 and 10 - 19 on layer 2.

If I then decide to move the layer break to LBA 7, on DVD+R DL you'll end up with 0 - 6 on layer 1 and 7 - 13 on layer 2. (i.e. it remaps them)

With DVD-R DL you'll end up with 0 - 6 on layer 1 and 13 - 19 on layer 2. (i.e. there's a gap of nothingness from 7 to 12)

The last sector on the DVD+R DL disc would be reported as 13, on DVD-R DL it would be 19.

So if any program / machine tries to just read from start to end it'll work fine for DVD+R DL but it'll error out on DVD-R DL due to the unused sectors in the middle (7 - 12).

The program/machine would need to be aware of the various jump points on the DVD-R DL disc for it to work and all the offsets would need to be corrected - because data isn't where it's supposed to be (thanks to the discontinuous LBA between layers).

THAT is why I said it's a complete waste of time and not to bother with it. I can understand you wanting to make use of the discs you've purchased but just save them for something else where the LB doesn't matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.