Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present-Tray Closed)

Andy1982

First time user, first time poster.

I've been trying to burn DVD+Rs. I am using the read/write method as shown in the guide. When I put my source disc in my external burner drive, I get the the Device Not Ready error message.

Here's my log:

I 18:24:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.5.0 started!

I 18:24:19 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 18:24:19 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,480 KB - Available: 958,084 KB

I 18:24:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:24:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:24:20 -> Drive 1 - Info: HP DVD Writer 1170d DH22 (E:) (USB)

I 18:24:20 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

Any reason for this? Kinda technologically challenged in this area so causes/hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Eject and reinsert the disc.

Does the message in the statusbar change to say something else (logical unit in process of becoming ready) before then going back to medium not present?

Try some other discs in the drive - all types / formats. Original/pressed/silver ones and the stuff you can write to. Try CDs and DVDs.

If it can't initialise anything it's probably broken.

Eject and reinsert the disc.

Does the message in the statusbar change to say something else (logical unit in process of becoming ready) before then going back to medium not present?

Try some other discs in the drive - all types / formats. Original/pressed/silver ones and the stuff you can write to. Try CDs and DVDs.

If it can't initialise anything it's probably broken.

It must have been an issue with the particular disc. I currently am in the process of burning and (knock on wood) successfully completing another project. Thanks for the help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.