Logical Unit not ready, Long Write in progress - 99%, etc

Artsu

Greetings,

I've been having problems with my writing dvd drive for some time now. First I thought it was just some minor problem and didn't really get into it but now I've noticed I can't burn any cd/dvd with any burning program. Nero, CD Burner and now ImgBurn all stop at 100%, though only now with img burn have I got some more information about my problem. It seems that the cd/dvd writes without a problem but the program can't finish the burning process, which I think occurs from it not been able to close the disk.

First ImgBurn gets stuck for quite a while in Synchronizising cache 99%. Pressing F8 gives me almost endless loops of:

I 15:11:54 [1:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-S083A SB01 (E:) (ATA)

I 15:11:54 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 15:11:54 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

E 15:11:54 SENSE: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 08 00 80 FF FF

E 15:11:54 SENSE Interpretation: Logical Unit not ready, Long Write in progress - 99%

Then finally at some point I get the following kind of message (also the previous error message can be seen on the picture):

cdfailure.png

I close the drive tray and press ok. Then this is where it in the end gets totally stuck.

cdfailure2.png

I've been searching for a solution for quite a while now but haven't made it work yet. I understand that the problem is because the drive isn't answering whether it is ready, or something like that. I've updated my dvd drive firmware (supposedly found the right and latest one), but that did no good. It is a laptop we're talking about so I can't really take my dvd drive off and test with another one.

Could it be that my dvd drive is just plain broken or do you have any ideas? :(

Here's the entire logfile of ImgBurn:

http://finpixel.org/failure/logfile.txt

So basically it says 'becoming ready' for ages and never actually gets there.

If the drive behaves the same way with decent Taiyo Yuden CD's and either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVD's, throw it in the bin and get a new one.

Of course before you do that you could try cleaning it with a cleaning disc!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.