best freeware program to Create ISO images?

LuckMan212

hello,

often I find myself at remote location (client, etc) and needing to make a backup of a CD or DVD (data-- not movies). ImgBurn is of course my favorite choice for reliable freeware burner app but what to use for creating said ISO image?

Yes of course Nero, Alcohol120, etc can be used but these require lengthy installations and registration and I am charging client by the hour cannot waste too much time downloading etc. What do you all use for quick easy ISO creations that can be carried on USB key for example?

One such program I found is called LCISOCreator. It is very simple, plain GUI but it works OK -- but sometimes gives me strange errors / crashes. So I look for something perhaps a bit more reliable? Of course it would be great if ImgBurn could add this ability inside itself but I have seen others ask for this and the idea gets shot down (not sure why, but I wont open can of worms again) :blush:

so if you have any recommendations I would really appreciate it!!

PS yes I know DVD Decrypter can create ISO images but it only works for DVDs not CD-ROMs!

edit: I found 2 more utilities, that may be of use:

burnatonce 0.99b

Folder2Iso v1.1

if anyone knows of any others please let me know! ;)

Edited by LuckMan212

Yes of course Nero, Alcohol120, etc can be used but these require lengthy installations and registration and I am charging client by the hour cannot waste too much time downloading etc. What do you all use for quick easy ISO creations that can be carried on USB key for example?

you install those programs once not everytime you work with a client and it doesn't have to be on their time .

Creating ISO's require files to be ripped to the HD and for legal reasons IMGburn will not be implimenting a read/rip feature. Ripping and circumventing the laws against piracy wont be discussed on this forum for obvious reasons .If you read through the forum there was a post about creating ISO's don't remember where and I'm not sure it was a free program, try the search feature at the top of the board :thumbup:

Edited by polopony

thank you for the replies. well I am not talking about 'ripping'... I am just needing to copy an unprotected CD-ROM (for example a Dell driver disc, etc.) So no laws being broken there, but anyway

Also I think PgcEdit and ImgToolClassic are for DVD-VIDEO, correct? I am not looking for such tools, just a simple tool to make an ISO image from a normal ISO9660 Data CD.

thank you for the replies. well I am not talking about 'ripping'... I am just needing to copy an unprotected CD-ROM (for example a Dell driver disc, etc.) So no laws being broken there, but anyway

I wasn't implying anything only that if a ripping feature was implimented for all those that would be reading non protected discs there would be an equal number or more that would be ripping protected stuff and thats where the legal problems would start and it also led to the demise of my favorite program :(

I hear what you are saying but I always understood "ripping" to mean copying DRM or otherwise "Protected" or copyrighted content from a piece of media to your hard drive. For example, "ripping" and Audio CD to your hd, or "ripping" VOBs from a DVD, these are "illegal" actions.

I never considered making a backup copy of a piece of media that I own (for example, a copy of Windows XP that is fully a retail store bought copy) as "ripping". That's what I meant.

I am not sure exactly why adding the ability to create ISO images of unprotected media would constitute a crime but I suppose someone will explain to me.....

I mean if this were really illegal then how can Nero, Alcohol, LCIsoCreator, Roxio, CDBurnerXP, etc etc all continue to exist and having this feature built in and also charging for it!?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.