Failed to Erase Disc - Invalid Command Operation Code

Bitbengel

I have a problem by erase dvd. Here are the log:

ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

Total Physical Memory: 2.096.236 KB - Available: 1.644.344 KB

Initialising SPTI...

Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

Operation Started!

Device: [4:1:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M SB05 (F:) (SCSI)

Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: SONY-S11-00) (Speeds: 4x)

Quick Erase: No

Erasing Disc...

Failed to Erase Disc - Invalid Command Operation Code

Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:00

Close Request Acknowledged

Closing Down...

Shutting down SPTI...

ImgBurn closed!

By nero it works ...

Need help,

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

First of all thank you for creating such a great tool!

I seem to have similar problem. IMGBURN fails to "Format" a DVD+RW media while I have no problem doing it with NERO.

I 17:26:39 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!
I 17:26:39 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
I 17:26:39 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.532 KB  -  Available: 1.576.008 KB
I 17:26:39 Initialising SPTI...
I 17:26:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 17:26:40 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD±RW!
I 17:26:44 Operation Started!
I 17:26:44 Device: [4:0:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1B (D:) (SCSI)
I 17:26:44 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-W11-01) (Speeds: 2,4x; 4x)
I 17:26:44 Quick Erase: No
I 17:26:44 Erasing Disc...
E 17:26:44 Failed to Erase Disc - Invalid Command Operation Code
E 17:26:44 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:00

Nero is probably just writing zeroes to the sectors. That's not the same thing as sending the proper erase/format command.

It can be... Whatever NERO is doing, I can use and write to the DVD+RW disc afterwards with NERO, while ImgBurn tells me every time, that the disc is not formatted and when it tries to format it, I will get the above mentioned error message along that "ohno".

You see, ImgBurn is really the best tool I have ever seen and I really want to get rid of NERO, but at the moment ImgBurn is not capable to handle DVD+RW on my computer.

Is there any workaround or anything else I could try to do?

Best Regards

You have to fix your drivers so that the command is acutally passed onto the drive and not terminated early.

What motherboard do you have?

Which controller is the drive connected to?

Which device name do you see for the controller when you look at it in Device Manager?

Have you tried a motherboard bios update?

Have you tried an INF/IDE driver update?

The thing is, ImgBurn likes a disc that shows up as 'Formatted: Yes' in the info panel on the right. Until it does, I don't consider it to be formatted properly and ImgBurn will attempt to get it that way.

Yes, you can get around that by changing the option in the settings but you should really fix the issue with your controller/drivers and not just bodge your way around it.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer me. Maybe this thread will help other people too who are having similar problems.

What motherboard do you have?

It's a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Revision 1.0)

Which controller is the drive connected to?

The good old parallel IDE (PATA?)

Which device name do you see for the controller when you look at it in Device Manager?

It's called "_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG SCSI CdRom Device", and I am using the latest firmware for it.

Have you tried a motherboard bios update?

Using the latest one (Rev. 12)

Have you tried an INF/IDE driver update?

Using the latest one (just checked again today.

Thank you in advance.

The thing is, ImgBurn likes a disc that shows up as 'Formatted: Yes' in the info panel on the right. Until it does, I don't consider it to be formatted properly and ImgBurn will attempt to get it that way.

Yes, you can get around that by changing the option in the settings but you should really fix the issue with your controller/drivers and not just bodge your way around it.

I also tried this alternative and unchecked the option "Prefer Properly Formatted +RW". This worked like a miracle. I was just able to overwrite my +RW media with an image, and afterwards even the Quick erase function worked.

But unfortunately I am still unable to write to virgin (never used before) DVD+RW. :(

Edited by Thuffir

Get yourself a decent new drive or change to verbatim +rw or try a few other brands

Thanks for this constructive post ;)

What makes you think it is a Media problem? Anyways it is the same with all +RW brands.

I really dislike NERO, but why is it able then to write all my +RWs without a problem?

All I would like is to get rid of NERO and switch fully to ImgBurn because it is a great tool...

Because I do not have that problem with more than 40 different dvd writers using ImgBurn with the Numerous different brands of -RW and +RW and many computers.

I also said get yourself a new decent dvd writer.

Maybe a new one (not a Memorex, matshita, artec, etc) will work as intended at erasing RW media or re install your operating system with the drive you have to sort out your seemingly crippled system. Maybe then it will work with drive and media combo you are using.

You know... That is not really helping me any further, but thank you for answering anyways... :)

You've got a driver installed that doesn't support (is blocking) the command used to format a disc - that's normally because the controller is meant for HDD's and not Optical drives.

If I understand the author correctly it does not seem to be a Media but a driver problem. Anyways just like I told you I have this problem with all DVD+RW Medias.

I would really like to update the "driver" like LIGHTNING suggests it, but not sure which driver he was talking about...

well have you got a log of all this other media you have tried ?

You need to look at which way your system accesses/sends commands from the ide bus to the way the drive responds, so you will need to look at the IDE drivers you have installed to deal with storage/ PATA devices.

The latest gigabyte chipset inf is 8.3.1.1009 see if Intel have a newer one for your 965 chipset.

post the filter driver load order from ImgBurn tool menu as well so others can see any potential conflicting info

also in bios you may have some options to deal with how sata is implemented or emulated therefore depending on which sata option your using the operating system and Inf you are using will configure itself accordingly.

On all my mobos that use sata with maybe say just 1 IDE channel I set my sata to IDE mode instead of AUTO Combined or AHCI.

Well it seems that I am having a combined problem... Some discs I managed to format in NERO before are not working even under NERO anymore and I even managed to get some "Power calibration error". So it seems to me that something is really broken on my system (just like you insisted).

I was even misleaded by a noname Media manufacturer who even had 3 different brands in a bundle under it's own (no)name (Philips, Ricoh and something else) and some of them worked and some of them not.

Well thank you for all of your times and patience guys :worthy:, but it really seems that I have to get a decent drive (no idea which one though).

Anyways my driver filter stack looks like this:

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.3.2.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter:  redbook
Upper Class Filter:  [None Found]
		 Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter:  PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter:  imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
	  File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
   File Version:  5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
  File Description:  Redbook Audio Filter Driver
   Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version:  5.1.2600.2180
   Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
	  Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
	  File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
   File Version:  3.00.56a [3.0.56.0]
  File Description:  Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
   Product Name:  PxHelp20
Product Version:  [2.0.0.0]
   Company Name:  Sonic Solutions
	  Copyright:  Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  imapi
	  File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
   File Version:  5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
  File Description:  IMAPI Kernel Driver
   Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version:  5.1.2600.2180
   Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
	  Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I honestly doubt nero would format a brand new disc (i.e. just unwrapped).

You simply cannot issue a 'write' command until you've issued a 'format' one - and so unless it's somehow bypassing the dodgy driver, I don't see how it would work.

Also, you say you've got a 965 chipset board so I guess you're using a 3rd party controller (I don't think Intel included one in the southbridge). That's where the problem lies.

When I asked for the 'controller' info from device manager I did actually mean controller (as in the ide controller) and not drive. Could you please check again for me.

Actually is that not one of those nonsense boards where southbridge ICH8 does not even support pata rom at all even though they provided 1 IDE and you have to use pata > sata converter.

Disgraceful idea and board/ manufacture process

seems to be jmicron again on revision 1 at least

post-26-1199384444_thumb.png

quite a few issues with that board and roms

can you up a piccy of device manager with ide expanded and any scsi entries in hardware

post-26-1199385231_thumb.png

I honestly doubt nero would format a brand new disc (i.e. just unwrapped).

You simply cannot issue a 'write' command until you've issued a 'format' one - and so unless it's somehow bypassing the dodgy driver, I don't see how it would work.

You are surely right. NERO seems to have problems with some discs too. Just like I wrote I even got some "Power calibration errors". Format command does not even work in NERO either. I was mixing up things like "Formatting" with "Erasing". I can only use discs I managed to format long time before (on my old mobo).

Also, you say you've got a 965 chipset board so I guess you're using a 3rd party controller (I don't think Intel included one in the southbridge). That's where the problem lies.

When I asked for the 'controller' info from device manager I did actually mean controller (as in the ide controller) and not drive. Could you please check again for me.

I hope the screenshot will clarify some things. It seems to be a Gigabyte controller... Probably that's my problem like you insisted...

post-9834-1199384608_thumb.png

is there an option under the gbb36x to use default ide or standard ide also what mode is it in already dma or pio if you can switch to default or standard does it knock drive into Pio mode

also which jmicron driver are you using

http://www.jmicron.com/FAQ_20330.htm

app have raid set up in bios then install jmicron and choose scsi and install drive , then cdrom etc will work correctly in udma

Jeah. That was the solution. Damned outdated Gigabyte drivers... Everything works now. Even the DVD+RWs that did not work before...

Guys thank you for your time and efforts that saved my old NEC drive from trashing it...

What is the proper way to make a donation to your project? I am in europe and having euros.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.