Problem Burning 64-Bit Vist from Technet

sqllady

:pirate: I am having a problem burning the 64-bit vista iso file (to DVD) which I download from Microsoft Technet Plus website using ImgBurn version 2.4.1.0. I have never had this problem in the past in burning any iso file so I am wondering if there is some setting I should or should not be using. I get no errors after the burn process. When I reboot my PC the DVD stops at " Hit any key for CD or DVD". I use the Write image file to disc, and Imgburn sees that the disk is bootable iso file. I have asked several of my friends to test the download and burn the file to DVD and they have no problem. They do not use Imgburn. I have 5 coasters trying to get this right. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Please post the log of the burn.

Make sure you verify the burn too as part of the process.

Have you checked the MD5 hash of the ISO file to make sure it's correct?

Ok - here is my log file:

ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Thursday, 03 July 2008, 15:47:50

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 15:27:57 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 15:27:57 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:27:57 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,624 KB - Available: 1,280,568 KB

I 15:27:57 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:27:57 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:27:57 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD

Please post the log of the burn.

Make sure you verify the burn too as part of the process.

Have you checked the MD5 hash of the ISO file to make sure it's correct?

Ok - here is my log file:

ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Thursday, 03 July 2008, 15:47:50

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 15:27:57 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 15:27:57 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:27:57 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,624 KB - Available: 1,280,568 KB

I 15:27:57 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:27:57 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:27:57 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD

Use something like 'HashTab' to generate the MD5/SHA-1 of the image and compare it to what TechNet says it should be.

You can then verify the disc against the image file in Verify mode once you've checked the SHA-1's match.

Are you actually trying to use the disc in the drive that just burnt it? Obviously the Verify bit only checks that it's readable in that specific drive - there's nothing to say a different drive will be able to read it correctly (RITEK media isn't exactly the best on the planet I'm afraid).

Use something like 'HashTab' to generate the MD5/SHA-1 of the image and compare it to what TechNet says it should be.

You can then verify the disc against the image file in Verify mode once you've checked the SHA-1's match.

Are you actually trying to use the disc in the drive that just burnt it? Obviously the Verify bit only checks that it's readable in that specific drive - there's nothing to say a different drive will be able to read it correctly (RITEK media isn't exactly the best on the planet I'm afraid).

Yes I am using the samve DVD drive I just burnt the disc. My other drive in this desktop is a CDRom. Where is the 'hashtab" . I have used Ritek media

a long time with no issues until now.

Also, I did not think this is a problem but, I am burining the DVD on a 32-bit desktop. Does this matter? I am building a 64-bit desktop and just testing to make sure the DVD works. The parts are being purchased as we speak.

thanks for your help.

Where is the 'hashtab"

http://beeblebrox.org/hashtab/

I installed and ran hashtab and here are the results:

CRC32: 5CC5BE14

MD5: E4CE0B193D94279E4DCE1098D6B5AFEB

SHA-1: BDADC46A263A7BF67EB38609770E4FDBD05247CB

Since I am new to this process, is this telling me that the files are not the same because I am downloading a 64-bit file and burning to a 32-bit machine?

please enlighten me. thanks

Sorry I forgot this info from Microsoft Technet Plus site:

Date Posted (UTC):2/28/2008 6:01:56 PM

SHA1:bdadc46a263a7bf67eb38609770e4fdbd05247cb

ISO/CRC:5CC5BE14

The hashes match, which means the file was correctly downloaded. Now open ImgBurn, switch to Verify mode, point ImgBurn to your ISO image and verify it against the burned disc.

Your problem has no relation to 32/64-bit architectures.

Sorry I forgot this info from Microsoft Technet Plus site:

Date Posted (UTC):2/28/2008 6:01:56 PM

SHA1:bdadc46a263a7bf67eb38609770e4fdbd05247cb

ISO/CRC:5CC5BE14

The hashes match, which means the file was correctly downloaded. Now open ImgBurn, switch to Verify mode, point ImgBurn to your ISO image and verify it against the burned disc.

Your problem has no relation to 32/64-bit architectures.

Here is the log file from imgBurn after verifying the ISO image against the burned disc.

I 20:41:29 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 20:41:29 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:41:29 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,624 KB - Available: 1,297,436 KB

I 20:41:30 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:41:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:41:40 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD

There's no problem with the disc then.

Have you actually hit a key when the disc boots up? That part is perfectly normally as all the windows bootable discs do the same thing.

If you don't press a key within 5 seconds or so it should then just continue to load any existing windows installation.

Of course if your machine won't accept keystrokes and it won't continue to load windows then it's probably a bios issue - in which case you need to find the manufacturer of your PC (or motherboard if it's a DIY job) and update it.

There's no problem with the disc then.

Have you actually hit a key when the disc boots up? That part is perfectly normally as all the windows bootable discs do the same thing.

If you don't press a key within 5 seconds or so it should then just continue to load any existing windows installation.

Of course if your machine won't accept keystrokes and it won't continue to load windows then it's probably a bios issue - in which case you need to find the manufacturer of your PC (or motherboard if it's a DIY job) and update it.

Yes I have pressed a key within 5 seconds - many keys with no results. My PC is a Systemax with a VIA motherboard. Its funny I have created boot disk for ubuntu and other software and had no problems. Just VISTA.

You stated earlier that Ritek is not the best brand of disk. Any other suggestions?

thanks for your help.

:rolleyes: Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard? Some PCs won't recognize a USB keyboard on boot until the OS loads the proper drivers. If you are using a USB keyboard, try it with a PS2 instead. Edited by kryten

:rolleyes: Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard? Some PCs won't recognize a USB keyboard on boot until the OS loads the proper drivers. If you are using a USB keyboard, try it with a PS2 instead.

Yes I am using a USB keyboard. I will try it.

:rolleyes: Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard? Some PCs won't recognize a USB keyboard on boot until the OS loads the proper drivers. If you are using a USB keyboard, try it with a PS2 instead.

You were correct. the Ps2 keyboard loaded the software.

You are best. thanks a lot.

If you'd exceeded the 5 second window for pressing a key the existing OS should have loaded. That's the whole point in making you press a key and not just going straight into the installation!

That's where a bios update would come in.

You can normally tell the bios to take control of the keyboard too instead of waiting for the OS to initialise it.

Press DEL / F2 etc next time you reboot and go through the bios options.

If you'd exceeded the 5 second window for pressing a key the existing OS should have loaded. That's the whole point in making you press a key and not just going straight into the installation!

That's where a bios update would come in.

You can normally tell the bios to take control of the keyboard too instead of waiting for the OS to initialise it.

Press DEL / F2 etc next time you reboot and go through the bios options.

In the bios options, i changed the one to recognize a USB keyboard. As for a bios update - there is none for this board. Its an old VIA motherboard in a 5+ year old systemax box. I am building a 64-bit desktop which will solve of my problems.

thanks in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.