Constant Buffer Underruns with 1.2.0.0

randello

When I burn an image with 1.2.0.0 I get constant buffer underruns. The buffer level keeps going up and down throughout the burn. When I uninstall the new version and put back 1.1.0.0 I have NO problems. I can't understand this. I have a P4 1.5 with 512 ram. Is this a bug????

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a windows caching problem.

Seems windows doesn't cache me reading in the 4gb file if I read in 64k chunks. As I switched to 256k (to hopefully speed things up!), it now caches everything and eats all your memory.

This was reported lastweek sometime and fixed almost immediately.

Get 1.2.1.0 when I release it and you'll be fine.

Cheers for reporting it though.

Mine does the samething. With 1.1.0.0 I could burn and just surf the web at the same time no problem. With this version I have now (1.2.0.0), when I'm burning, thats the only thing I can do. I can click the "Start" button and it doesn't come up until about 7 seconds later. Looking forward to the next version. :)

Edited by jmet

It's a windows caching problem.

Seems windows doesn't cache me reading in the 4gb file if I read in 64k chunks. As I switched to 256k (to hopefully speed things up!), it now caches everything and eats all your memory.

This was reported lastweek sometime and fixed almost immediately.

Get 1.2.1.0 when I release it and you'll be fine.

Cheers for reporting it though.

maybe you can put an option for us to choose the transfer rate. :)

jmet,

I expect that delay is due to the disc spinning up or something. The file transfer rate problem only comes into play during the actual burn...not before it, after it etc. Those other functions do things differently.

dirio49,

Nah, it'll be fixed back on 64k

LUK....great product.....i too updated to 1.2.0.0....and went back to the previous version....just because of problems already mentioned.....i'll know everything will eventually be sorted out....thanks once again for all your ideas....in the past...in the present...and in the future....will paypal a donation soon for your efforts....

I don't want to be rude, but when is the version without the caching problem expected for release? :pray: I really love the new options in this version so much that I do not want to install the older version again. This was the only problem I noticed almost instantly. Respect to Lightning UK for putting so much effort in the program :thumbsup:

Edited by killjoy

Well today I've added a sector viewer... now I'm about to add a '/IBG' CLI argument as per r0lZ request.

THEN I'm done ;)

No sir, you can't quit! Keep on working overtime! =))

I haven't noticed this issue, been surfing, burning and printing all weekend with no probs, but I have a fair amount of memory if that helps?

Yep, I do have an older system with 512 MB RAM. I think you have more, haven't you? With big specs you probably do not notice the problem at all ;)

I haven't noticed this issue, been surfing, burning and printing all weekend with no probs, but I have a fair amount of memory if that helps?

Yes, I think a lot of memory helps, but I don't think you need much to avoid issues. I had avoided using 1.2.0.0 until recently because I saw the bug reports cropping up. Normally I never have an image on the same drive (or even the same IDE channel - I have boot drive on primary IDE, others on Promise Ultra controller), so I doubt that I'd see an underrun from competing with the windows swap file anyway. I happen to current have 1.5GB of DDR RAM on my 2.66 GHz P4 (non-hyper threading) computer. I decided to give 1.2.0.0 a try because I wanted to get the verify curve on the DVDInfo Pro graphs. Anyway, I have NO issues with either the program or device cache emptying on me, and all works fine.

I decied to open task manager before and during burning, and it looks like ImgBurn 1.2.0.0 only uses about 12 MB of memory (in the process window) before burning and only about 33 MB during burning. I believe it was about the same with 1.1.0.0. I also switched to the performance tab of task manger during the burn and I don't see any indication that large amounts of physical OR virtual memory are being used to create a cache for the whole image.

This is on Windows XP Home SP2. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but all seems well with 1.2.0.0 for me....no cache issues evident anywhere.

What is it supposed to look like in task manager when all the memory disappaears during a burn? Does the available phyisical memory get consumed to leave 0 available as shown in the perofrmance tab? Mine stayed at about 1 GB free during the burn of a 4.3 GB single layer image...

For me, the 'Available' counter in the 'Physical Memory (K)' box on the 'Performance' tab showed a drop in value every second that matched the write speed of my burner.

Once I'd noticed this pattern I didn't bother to keep an eye on it right until the end. What I did see was that it took me down from about 1.2gb free to 400mb. I may have gone beyond that, I don't know.

Switched back to 64k transfers and it wasn't even noticable after that.

As it's not actually ImgBurn using the memory, memory for the ImgBurn.exe process stayed at 30 odd MB as normal.

For me, the 'Available' counter in the 'Physical Memory (K)' box on the 'Performance' tab showed a drop in value every second that matched the write speed of my burner.

Once I'd noticed this pattern I didn't bother to keep an eye on it right until the end. What I did see was that it took me down from about 1.2gb free to 400mb. I may have gone beyond that, I don't know.

As it's not actually ImgBurn using the memory, memory for the ImgBurn.exe process stayed at 30 odd MB as normal.

Strange, I didn't seem to see ANY decrease during burning in the performance tab, and definitely not by that much even when the burn started! Hmmm, perhaps it depends on the version of Windows (I'm using XP Home SP2 with all critical updates), and possible differences in memory management?

Edited by fordman

Strange, I didn't seem to see ANY decrease during burning in the performance tab, and definitely not by that much even when the burn started! Hmmm, perhaps it depends on the version of Windows (I'm using XP Home SP2 with all critical updates), and possible differences in memory management?

Maybe so, I am wondering what amount of RAM you have?

Lightning UK, what about that fix you would release for this issue? I thought a new version would be released two days ago (correct me if I am mistaken).

Maybe so, I am wondering what amount of RAM you have?

I have 1.5 GB of RAM currently on a Medion (MSI motherboard) computer with a non-hyperthreading 2.66 Ghz P4.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.