Support for Sony VGP-XL1B media changer?

Are there any plans to have ImgBurn support media changers like the Sony VGP-XL1B 200 disc unit? It'd be really handy to be able to use ImgBurn to dump a whole series of files to a number of discs. The media changer interface shows up as a windows device, as does the drive unit itself (in this case a Matshita DVD-RAM SW-9584). ImgBurn works with the drive just fine, but only as a standalone single drive. To change discs you have to use an external program, in this case either Microsoft's MediaCenter 2005 or a freeware program called 'mediachanger' from Alex Whetmore. This hardware is essentially the same as a Powerfile C200.

So, any shot of being able to use it from within ImgBurn?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there any plans to have ImgBurn support media changers like the Sony VGP-XL1B 200 disc unit? It'd be really handy to be able to use ImgBurn to dump a whole series of files to a number of discs. The media changer interface shows up as a windows device, as does the drive unit itself (in this case a Matshita DVD-RAM SW-9584). ImgBurn works with the drive just fine, but only as a standalone single drive. To change discs you have to use an external program, in this case either Microsoft's MediaCenter 2005 or a freeware program called 'mediachanger' from Alex Whetmore. This hardware is essentially the same as a Powerfile C200.

So, any shot of being able to use it from within ImgBurn?

this device sounds interesting. Does this device let you load up a bunch of blank CD/DVD blanks into the unit and let you burn multiple discs from it's 200 disc capacity? If this is the case, I would be willing to donate one of these to the ImgBurn author to add support

this device sounds interesting. Does this device let you load up a bunch of blank CD/DVD blanks into the unit and let you burn multiple discs from it's 200 disc capacity? If this is the case, I would be willing to donate one of these to the ImgBurn author to add support

The hardware would support it, it's just a media changer after all. Windows itself (XP anyway) supports it with a Microsoft driver. The software that comes with it from Sony, however, is only designed to work within Media Center 2005 (vista version coming any day now). But there are a couple of utilities that allow controlling the changer independently of the MCE software.

Right now ImgBurn just sees it as one drive. I use MCE or the utilities to manually control which disc is loaded.

I'd imagine that ImgBurn would have to do something like be able to start recording from a given slot number (0 through 199) and then have options on what to do about skipping to the next disc. As in, skip ahead only once, or keeping skipping until returning to the current slot, looking for blank media each time.

It might be interesting to have an option to require the blank media to be "the same" as whatever the starting disc happened to be. That way the math calculating space needed wouldn't have to deal with skipping between CD, DVD and DVD+DL capacities. If you start with +DL then the subsequent ones have to be the same, or likewise for DVD and CD media. It's be nice to have it be able to automagically deal with recalculating but I could live without it. I can only imagine the hassles of starting with a DVD+DL, then coming across a CD-R and then a DVD+R. Oh, and toss in DVD+RW and DVD-RAM too. Heh, I suppose there's also sorts of complicated options that users might want.

But a basic way to tell it to march through the discs would be a fantastic starting point.

I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks to a paypal fund if it meant buying one for development. I picked up one cheap off eBay but Amazon also had some for $200.

Edited by Bill Kearney

if its mechanism is anything like the sony 200 disc multi cd changer i had, then it wont be long till yours dies .sounded like a brilliant idea at the time, to have 200 audio cds in the rotating carousel, and just select which one to listen to, but after what i would say was very "light" use the 1st one died, as did its replacement, and the following 2 replacements

after that ! . a total of 4 machines within 12 months .the saving grace was my retailer gave me my money back after the 12 months and 4th machine went wrong. ( UK warranty is usually 12 months), purely because i was a good customer of his for other electrical items.

funnily enough, i just checked out amazon and found the first 2 reviews on this page to be similar to my experience with the 200 disc cd changer

HERE

although in fairness, the comments on the XL1B are in its favour

we need to set up a donation fund (via PayPal) so we can get LUK his very own Sony VGP-XL1B media changer. Just think of the possibilities if ImgBurn supported such a beast (200 disc automated burner for a fraction of the cost of one of those fancy pants DVD/CD duplication systems they sell for $1000-$2000 on ebay).

if its mechanism is anything like the sony 200 disc multi cd changer i had, then it wont be long till yours dies .sounded like a brilliant idea at the time, to have 200 audio cds in the rotating carousel, and just select which one to listen to, but after what i would say was very "light" use the 1st one died, as did its replacement, and the following 2 replacements

after that ! . a total of 4 machines within 12 months .the saving grace was my retailer gave me my money back after the 12 months and 4th machine went wrong. ( UK warranty is usually 12 months), purely because i was a good customer of his for other electrical items.

funnily enough, i just checked out amazon and found the first 2 reviews on this page to be similar to my experience with the 200 disc cd changer

HERE

although in fairness, the comments on the XL1B are in its favour

Hmm...... question: Will these things read an encrypted disk? It'd be pretty useless if it didn't. I really don't see an upside in having one of these things which probably means I'm overlooking the obvious. 200 CDs x 20 songs each (being generous) is only 4000 songs. How many can a crappy 120gig drive hold? 25,000? 30,000? All instantly accessible from any network device. I dunno. I'm missing something.

dont know about the recent ones shamus, but the one i had was purely a cd player , with the convenience of not having to change the cd.

at the time, large hdd's where still expensive ( so was the 200disc player) , but with a large collection of cd's it made more sense for me to have the 200player.( must of been 4-5 years ago now)

If I had such a changer, I might spend some time getting it to work.

As I don't, there's little chance of it happening I'm afraid.

If I donated 50-100 bucks, will this help you get one of these and see if this can be used as an automated duplicator?

• 1 month later...
If I had such a changer, I might spend some time getting it to work.

As I don't, there's little chance of it happening I'm afraid.

If I donated 50-100 bucks, will this help you get one of these and see if this can be used as an automated duplicator?

LUK,

I will be more than happy to buy you one of these if you could work on support for imgburn so this device can be used as an automated dvd/cd duplicator

• 1 month later...
I thought someone was gonna buy one and set me up with remote access to the PC?

They're not available here in the UK and I have no use for one besides just 'getting it working'.

Ok LUK, it'll be me

I will buy one, set it up one of my PC's with PC anywhere, and let you have at it.

Supporting this device will be a HUGE accomplishment for imgburn, as it could elimiate the need for a $1000-$2000+ duplicator

**UPDATE 8/2/07 - Ok, I bought the unit and should receive and set it up tommorrow, 8/3/07. Will report when myself and LUK have things in order***

Edited by eastbayarb

• 1 month later...
I thought someone was gonna buy one and set me up with remote access to the PC?

They're not available here in the UK and I have no use for one besides just 'getting it working'.

Ok LUK, it'll be me

I will buy one, set it up one of my PC's with PC anywhere, and let you have at it.

Supporting this device will be a HUGE accomplishment for imgburn, as it could elimiate the need for a $1000-$2000+ duplicator

**UPDATE 8/2/07 - Ok, I bought the unit and should receive and set it up tommorrow, 8/3/07. Will report when myself and LUK have things in order***

Hi,

First off Forgive my NOOB credits.

been following the threads and finally decided to register and share my thoughts and comments.

-LUK and others, many thanks for looking at making this happen.

I was wanting to know if there's been any updates on imgburn working with this changer ?

On another note I was wondering if you can have an [optional] event fired (and/or run an external command) in imgburn (once a job is done) with a status of either completed or failed -or- perhaps its already there and I'm not understanding how to get that status... I'm want-to batch burn some cd's using this changer but would like to know which cd's have failed and which completed in case I need to do something after or before the job.

Thanks again, and sorry if this isn't the proper thread to ask these questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that looks like you almost completed it.

when will this version be released, as I have one of these bad boys and would like to have it start rewarding me.

I've tried using imgburn to burn some DVD+r DL, but I have had many failures, wondering if anybody had the same issue?

I have upgraded to the b107 firmware, but still sometimes it won't complete the job.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2075

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unless those are Verbatim dual layer forget it as the drive is not that good to start with so god knows what it will be like with less than verbatim.

yeah hopefully this is the issue, I didn't use verbatim.. I'm using Ricoh (was cheaper, now i know why I guess)... didn't realize how bad/unforgiving of a writer these jukebox drives were, but I will be grabbing some verbatim and do some further testing with it.

Many thanks for your help and comments.

Tried verbatim this weekend, it worked much better.. still a couple failed but much better completed sucess then what I had with the ricoh batch.

Does anybody know if DVD-DL +RW is supported in these units ? (so far doesn't look like it does, but just wondering).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.