Support for Sony VGP-XL1B media changer?

dont know about the recent ones shamus, but the one i had was purely a cd player , with the convenience of not having to change the cd.

at the time, large hdd's where still expensive ( so was the 200disc player) , but with a large collection of cd's it made more sense for me to have the 200player.( must of been 4-5 years ago now)

I think I have the same CD changer. Bought it from a pawn shop about 3 or 4 years ago. I like the sound it makes when the carousel is turning. I never had problems with it and still use it to this day. Other than occasionally forgetting to put discs in with the label side facing the correct way, that's the only trouble I've had (haha, user error). The remote that comes with that thing is huge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you use the CLI command stuff the return value from the program is different depending on success / failure.

As for working on the changer... this is about as far as I've got!

Hi,

Wondering if theres been any updates on this feature?

thanks.

No, that's still it.

I won't be doing any more on it before the next release.

Thanks, appreciate the update.

Ok, that means I can ask for a couple feature(s) then . :thumbup:

1 - One of the things I'm looking for is to use the batch method and add a directory whos contents extend over two or three disc (4.7gb) and would like for imgburn have it properly split across the dvd's thats writeable in the jukebox (i'll like to provide it with a set of slots it should use to burn it to).

2 - incremental labels, so that i can specifiy the starting label and have it seed the rest with a volume no .

3 - a checkbox that if the burnt of the current dvd fail shd it try to copy onto another disc (and number of discs it shd be attempted on.)

Thanks again for the update and even more thanks for imgburn, although the feature for xl1b won't be released in the next version I'm very curious and looking forward to seeing what enhancement/features are in the next release b'cos the current version of imgburn is certainly top shelf at what it does (luv your double cancel btn message).

Ok, it "was" a good wish-list, onto better things then. :rolleyes:

Well I can build the iso's place them into a directory and batch burn via CLI, but my question can (or will i be able to)pass onto imgburn via CLI which slot/changer it should use to burn the iso onto or can it have some sort'a auto find next burnable slot and use ?

if I can get that then I'm pretty much able todo the rest.

I have one of these changers and can setup a rdp session if needed. Just let me know.

I would love to be able to see what type of blank disk i have in what.

I.e. i would love to be able to see at a glance which ones are dual layer which ones are single layer and the media type would be great. I know a perfect world.

Where could i get the above program at least that helps some?

Thanks

The only way to get that info is to load each disc into the drive one by one. Obviously that takes aaaaagggeeeees.

Yes i know that would be fine, some type of indexing if you want to do it.

Here is my situation i am at work and i rdp into my home computer

I have a lot of dvd's etc that i need to get copied to the dvd's but some are dual layers some aren't.

So if i could say burn this iso to this cd it would be EXCELLENT and very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new on this forum, but I have been working on a standalone GUI app to control the Sony changer for the past few weeks and using ImgBurn for some time.

Rather than rebuilding the entire wheel Lightning UK could add the capability to run an external utility from the queue (if it's not already present). There are several utilities that can handle the changer control part of this including mtx and mediachanger.exe. This woudl allow users to could create a sort of 'script' using the queue and by using the CLI utilities to change slots they would get full use of the changer. I'm all for a UI, but in conjunction with your queue mechanism you would probably get flexibilty that would require more work in a GUI (for example the ability to target disjoint slots or make varying numbers of copies of each image). This could prove to be very useful...

Using this method would also free Lighning UK from having to support what could become a growing class of devices in the coming years. Having said that, how could I become a part of the Beta test group ? [i am dying to play with this]

PS: ImgBurn is a truly excellent product and everyone should donate.

Sounds very cool... How can I play with it... (or can I). :whistling:

I know what you mean about aaagges. My app loads media and uses CDDB or the WinMedia site to ID it and retreive metadata. Setting up a library this way is a neat idea but requires hours of time to do making it a painful process.

Oooh since you are around are an expert with this stuff... Do you know if there is a way programmatically to get accurate bus addressing information for firewire or USB devices (yeah, it is a question related to the changer app I have been building).

Edited by bigdude

I suspected that was be the case for the addressing, but I wanted to be sure I didn't just screw the pooch in the code... The SBP2 driver (firewire) definitely returns zeroes for everything. The reason I was asking was because it also assigns device names based on the order of replies which means that on a system with many devices of the same class the device names tend to change. I was looking for a way around that... In the case of these changers I use the serial numbers, but many devices do not have that so I was hoping for a more general purpose method...

As far as playing with it... I meant the version of the program that supports the changer, but I see I need to be specific around here to avoid the jokers. You got me though, I tend to be the one making the wise cracks, and it definitely feels different from the other side... ;)

PS: If I donate again personally (I made company donations in the past) can I join the beta group...

Oh well... Way too rich for my blood. I guess I will just have to await the new version eagerly like most users. I will still donate again to support this great tool. (is that 2Mill or 2Thousand)

Keep up the good work guys, ImgBurn is definitely the most reliable recording tool I have in my toolkit and I will continue to regularly recommend it to anyone looking for CD/DVD software. I also very much appreciate the fact that it doesn't insist on installing piles of filters and drivers to do its work.

PS: I do think that the ability to queue up external commands (using a wait for termination wrapper function around the spawned process) would make a great addition to ImgBurn. It would certainly have applications beyond changer control that could help better automate lots of activities.

Edited by bigdude

Now, there's a new one - buy your way into the betas!!!

Seriously, if LUK! wanted someone to test this new feature, do you not think he'd contact you or another person who has this changer?

Regards

Sorry guys... Getting onto the Beta Group was just an idea to see this feature... :chair:

Anyway... I am glad you do have a changer, that certainly makes the development process easier. Have you given any thought to how the program will handle multiple changers ? That is where my application started to have new issues... If you are opening the changer using a device name (like CHANGER0) you may bump into the problems I had as well because the bus assigns those based on response times.

Is there a target date for the ImgBurn release with this feature ? (No pressure, just curious)

I was momentarily blinded by AlterCuno's Icon and picture. If 'those' are yours how do you find time for computer geekery at all !!

i know ive just registered but ive been skulking in the forums and reading up and ive always admired your work.

I just got a xl1b3 and after realizing there is no support for this drive i found your integrating it. I LOVE YOU GUYS! LOL

i cant wait for your next release

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.