TDK BD-RE 50 Burn Problem

achilles78

I'm using the disc named in the title in the LG GGW-H20L firmware YL02. For some reason burning a BDMV using the fastwrite option results in a disc that has playback problems in my PS3. About halfway through the picture tends to freeze / stutter - which may coincide with the second layer. One disc will even refuse to get to the menu. However burning with the fastwrite option disabled seems to be OK. Unfortunately I only have one of these TDK discs at present so it's difficult to tell if it is a disc fault. I haven't noticed the problem (yet) with the Verbatim BD-R or BD-RE 25's. The TDK disc IS officially rated at 1-2x so why does it have issues?

Any thoughts - could it be a hardware issue requiring rectification in the next firmware update or are there any other suggestions?

Fastwrite doesn't really guarantee that the 'write' will be successful or that everything gets written to the disc. Bits could even be skipped in order to maintain a set speed.

By definition it's actually setting the 'Streaming' flag in the 'Write (12)' CDB so errors might be / are ignored. (See MMC specs at www.t10.org for more info)

When FastWrite is disabled the drive performs its own verification of the written data as it's written - hence it'll never say a write was ok unless it REALLY is ok.

Streaming probably also stops it from reallocating bad sectors etc which would otherwise be taken care of automatically.

So basically, unless you REALLY can't stand the additional time needed to burn the disc, I advise people to leave the FastWrite on the default setting of 'Disabled'.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So can one not write at speeds faster than 1x reliably ever i.e. is the data rate too high above this speed to verify as well?

Seems rather annoying to have a 6x rated drive and/or 2x media but can't write reliably any faster than 1x!

I wish the drive people would implement a proper way to disable the auto write/verify without me having to resort to using the 'streaming' command.

There seems to be a flag I can set that does exactly that on BD-R but it doesn't apply to BD-RE... what I don't get is that BD-R burns at the correct speed anyway!

I guess the only timesaver is that you can disable the program's Verify feature if FastWrite is not enabled - there's no point in verifying twice!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.