Layer Break Options - while bruning DL DVD's

Michal

hi!

I have been using ImgBurn for a while now and now I'm trying to burn a DL disc..and this is the window I get when I try to do that:

imagebjf.jpg

now I'm not familiar with DL disc at all...so what I think is that they need a break somewhere in the dvd (firstlayer -> second) or something like that...but I don't understand any of the information/Checkbox ImgBurn gives me..could someone please explain what they mean and how I should choose my break..

thankfull for all answers!!

michcio

Edited by Michal

You should choose based on the star rating (which takes several important aspects into account), and keep an eye on the % column (which shows how much data goes on each layer) since some DVD players prefer discs with 50/50 (or the nearest value) distribution.

When in doubt use the Preview button, young padawan :thumbup:

You should choose based on the star rating (which takes several important aspects into account), and keep an eye on the % column (which shows how much data goes on each layer) since some DVD players prefer discs with 50/50 (or the nearest value) distribution.

When in doubt use the Preview button, young padawan :thumbup:

thanks for your fast answer...ah ok then I understand almost everything...just what's the difference if I just ignor line break at all and if I make it Seamless/Don't update IFO/BUP files?

EDIT: and btw is it better to make a break in a movie or in a menu?

Edited by Michal

If you ignore them then you create a LB based on rules that break the DVD Video spec - i.e. don't do it!

Seamless makes it look like no LB exists (according to the IFO's anyway) and for most players this means you won't get the 2 second pause as the machines switches layers. Of course if you player doesn't support seamless layer breaks it'll probably just hang when it gets to the physical LB on the disc and it hasn't been told that section of the video isn't seamless.

Don't update ifo/bup files means the program won't attempt to adjust the 'seamless' flag in your files.

EDIT: and btw is it better to make a break in a movie or in a menu?

Best part is between "the files" such as between a bup or ifo or before/after a VTS. In that way you will not risk any "freezing" during the playback of video.

Green stars are such as above, the blue ones are generally in a Video part. You can see it - if you look at another DVD and if the split will be between cells in a VTS.

You can read more in this guide in the section - STEP 6

If you ignore them then you create a LB based on rules that break the DVD Video spec - i.e. don't do it!

Seamless makes it look like no LB exists (according to the IFO's anyway) and for most players this means you won't get the 2 second pause as the machines switches layers. Of course if you player doesn't support seamless layer breaks it'll probably just hang when it gets to the physical LB on the disc and it hasn't been told that section of the video isn't seamless.

Don't update ifo/bup files means the program won't attempt to adjust the 'seamless' flag in your files.

ah ok won't do the seamless option then if some of DVD-players doesn't accept it....so if I don't want the seamless option at all I should check the 'don't update ifo/bup files' button ?...I don't get it .. what's the difference if my ifo/bup are seamless or not..when creating my DVD there's only just one of ifo/bup files for each movie.

No, you should leave both options unticked (as they are in your screenshot).

If you have the 'dont update...' one ticked and you select a seamless cell, it'll stay seamless - which of course isn't what you want.

If it's not ticked and you select a seamless cell, ImgBurn will mark it as non seamless.

The seamless thing only applies when you select a cell item in the list. It's the cell that gets marked as seamless/non-seamless, not the IFO/BUP file itself.

i.e. if it has 'N/A' in the cell column then it's not a cell.

No, you should leave both options unticked (as they are in your screenshot).

If you have the 'dont update...' one ticked and you select a seamless cell, it'll stay seamless - which of course isn't what you want.

If it's not ticked and you select a seamless cell, ImgBurn will mark it as non seamless.

The seamless thing only applies when you select a cell item in the list. It's the cell that gets marked as seamless/non-seamless, not the IFO/BUP file itself.

i.e. if it has 'N/A' in the cell column then it's not a cell.

ah! ok then I get it all :D thank you!! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.