Media

the olde

Hi there, I know you have posted the results of many a media, but please which is the current champ?

My burner is a NEC4550 & presently use Ridisc Extreme 8x G05 which I have good results, but I find I am only able to burn at half the disc rated max speed.

Cheers

There doesn't seem to be a 'champ' for all drives... it's a case of looking at the best few and seeing which works well with your particular model of drive.

Verbatims, Taiyo Yuden and probably the Ricoh (non Ritek dye ones) are the best of the bunch.

Hi there, I know you have posted the results of many a media, but please which is the current champ?

My burner is a NEC4550 & presently use Ridisc Extreme 8x G05 which I have good results, but I find I am only able to burn at half the disc rated max speed.

Cheers

Cheers for that, so the G05 ink is no good?

Also should I be able to burn at the disc max?

I used to use G05 for ages when it first came out and my NEC2510 loved them, then a year or so ago the drives kept crapping out when using that dye.

So I switched to Taiyo Yuden TYG02 dye and have had no problems since....

All things being equal you should be able to burn at the max speed on those discs if your burner is up to it. Have you checked for firmware updates ? Shamus posted a snazzy little guide to firmware updates here: -

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...6175entry6175

Give it a go and see - without an ImgBurn log I can't tell whether yours is up to date. If it is and the problem still persists check out the FAQ section and look for the post on DMA :thumbup:

No problems with Ritek G05s here either but as L_UK said, it depends on the drive. Having said that, the Riteks work great with my Pioneer, Lite-On and LG drives. My XBox loves them but my PS2 hates them and will only work with Tayio Yudens or Maxell media. The PS2 my missus has works with anything, even crappy Princo disks. Go figure.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in since I just recently encountered some burning problems. I've been using YUDEN000-T02-00 since I got my burner and have had perfectly burned discs. I just recently bought a batch of Riteks and they've all turned out to be coasters except for one.

Cheers

The latest G05s are inconsistent quality wise and you'll get mixed results. Allied to this there are doubts over the longevity of this dye-type as users have reported discs degrading over a period of time and in some cases becoming unplayable after a year or more.

I was a long time Ritek fan with my previous drive and used 100s of G04s. I'd intended on giving the G05s a blast but personally I don't want this sort of potential time bomb hanging over me so I've avoided them.

Taiyo Yudens are consistently the best although a bit more expensive than others.

If you're looking for a good quality good performing bargain 8x disc for use with this drive I'd recommend Datawrite Grey with the Prodisc F01 dye. These will burn reliably 12x (beyond their recommended speed) so you should have no difficulties with the standard 8x.

I see others recommending Verbatims but with this drive I consistently get better scans with the Prodisc dye than on any of my Verbatim burns.

BTW If you end up with 16x discs burn them at 12x for maximum quality as there's a glitch with these drives that causes a large PIE spike at 2.2Gb. If you burn at 12x the spike mysteriously disappears.

Ideally this will be fixed in a future firmware update although to be honest this drive produces such high quality burns, I'm happy with burning at 8x or 12x for now.

I hope this helps.

Nemesis

Edited by Nemesis

The latest G05s are inconsistent quality wise and you'll get mixed results.

That?s a fairly sweeping statement. The quality of the G05s on this side of the big pond has remained consistant for quite a while now. No verification problems and no disk rot after a year or so making them perfectly usable in any capacity. They might only be 12x but they?re all I use these days because I know exactly what I?m getting. The inability of some drives to read and/or write to this particular media isn?t necessarily the fault of the media itself. FWIW, both of my Pioneer 109s recognise the media as 12x. My Lite-On and LG drives identify them as 8x. Houston, we have a problem.

The latest G05s are inconsistent quality wise and you'll get mixed results.

That?s a fairly sweeping statement. The quality of the G05s on this side of the big pond has remained consistant for quite a while now. No verification problems and no disk rot after a year or so making them perfectly usable in any capacity. They might only be 12x but they?re all I use these days because I know exactly what I?m getting. The inability of some drives to read and/or write to this particular media isn?t necessarily the fault of the media itself. FWIW, both of my Pioneer 109s recognise the media as 12x. My Lite-On and LG drives identify them as 8x. Houston, we have a problem.

Sorry, I should have made myself a bit clearer. I may have caused some confusion.

It wasn't intended as a sweeping statement and I'm not tarring all G05s with the same brush.

I was merely contrasting this with the TY discs which seem to have an untarnished reputation so far.

The Ritek Extremes referred to earlier in the thread are probably at the top of the heap for quality control but other G05 discs have been known to suffer from inconsistent production runs or bad batches if you like.

With regard to the longevity issues it's not disc rot I'm referring to (which affects pressed DVDs) but the degradation curve of the dye-type.

I've read that with G05s scans taken say six months, a year, two years later etc etc after burning show a higher degree of increase in PIE and PIF errors than other dye-types. The problem with checking this is that you need to have the original scans to compare with. Most people never bother keeping them, others do though and I've no reason to doubt that the scans they've posted are honest.

As you rightly say however this might only relate to US discs but all I'm saying is that in my own mind that raises some cause for potential doubts.

It would actually be quite interesting as a one off exercise for the mods to retain the test burns and try them again in six months. Whether it's worth the effort or not though is open to debate.

If you're interested check out the following thread at CD Freaks.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=161134

I can't remember where I saw the comparative scans but it's either on CD Freaks or VideoHelp.com.

I'm not skewing this or attempting to put a bias against any particular type of media I'm just making people aware of what the Internet community at large has already put out there.

I just picked the link above as the first result Google came up with but there are stacks more if you do a search.

Nemesis

I have kept all my test burns on a spindle and intend to re-scan them in 6 months time to see if there are any differences and then again at 1 year mark etc. I am sure corny and the boss have kept theirs as well, it will be easy for us to just add the recent scans to the existing posts and spot any differences....

As for the RiDisc Extremes - I had a lot of trouble with those here in the UK and stopped using them. I think Shamus' supply is obviously of a higher quality than those available here.....

I have kept all my test burns on a spindle and intend to re-scan them in 6 months time to see if there are any differences and then again at 1 year mark etc. I am sure corny and the boss have kept theirs as well, it will be easy for us to just add the recent scans to the existing posts and spot any differences....

Excellent, I'll be very interested to see that! :thumbup:

Nemesis

in Europe ritek G04's ( metallic purple tops and purple/lilac dye ) was the mutz nutz for ages at 4x writing, they they came out with G05's to match the newly released 8x capable writers .

from that point onwards ritek went tits up with there consistency, i was getting 10+ coasters from 25 packs of G05's .and several panasonic players wouldnt recognise them at all .

i went onto taiyo yuden TYG02 and lose about 1 in 100 from a spindle now . at that time it was very hard to get genuine TY's here .

since then TYG03 have been released, but these seem to be slightly less consistent from posts on here and other places.

my recomendation would be taiyo Yuden 8x -r TYG02 , regardless of if you have a 16x writer .

taiyos seem to be the most compatable diss with more players than any other brand as well ( findings was from a forum that is no longer with us :o )

the down side is that they are much more dearer than all other brands ( specially in the EU ) , but you are getting reliable media

For DL media nothing beats Verbatim.

I haven't actually bothered with DL yet but you're right.

Verbatim are widely regarded as the best DL discs currently available.

At the moment, as far as DL goes, there's Verbatim and then there's all the rest.

Still too dear though for a cheapskate like me. :)

Nemesis

for testing later, one guy over at cdfreaks has put away an extra scanner(the one he first tested with) to make sure he's consistent.

Now that's dedication.

It's great though that some people take the trouble to do these things as it benefits other not so well organised users such as myself. :)

Nemesis

For DL media nothing beats Verbatim.

I haven't actually bothered with DL yet but you're right.

Verbatim are widely regarded as the best DL discs currently available.

At the moment, as far as DL goes, there's Verbatim and then there's all the rest.

Still too dear though for a cheapskate like me. :)

Nemesis

While they are still expensive compared to DVD5 discs, they have come down quite a bit. I can get Verbatim DL discs for $2.45 each (retail packaging). Considering a year or so ago they were around $8.00 each that is quite a price drop.

they dont get much better than this :)

That's a superb scan.

I'm thinking of changing to these discs when my current batch runs out.

They're a bit dearer but the results are undeniably good.

Nemesis

I agree !!

Another superb result.

LFC I see you did the recent NEC ND-4500A test burns for the TYG03 discs.

Would there be any possibility of adding in the results from a 12x burn?

Nemesis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.