Was this issue caused by ImgBurn programming?

eduro

Dear ImgBurn author (and forum members) ,

First of all , thanks to the author for writing this useful piece of software , and make it freeware.

Well the issue is the following : I just installed today the program , because I needed one that could convert a 7.8GB DVD backup folder of mine into an ISO. I run the program the first time , and make all the process to complete the aforementioned. All works very nice , i get the ISO and well decide to close the program. Inmediately when I did that, a "hidden folder" appeared where I had created the ISO , it had a lot of letters and numbers , like a Temp folder. Astonished , I entered there , and found 4 files , catched the name of one , it was a Microsoft Malware or something like that. exe , and 3 other files I couldnt see because the windows inmediately closed , and all that "hidden" folder dissapeared. I tried to reproduce this issue again , but to no avail.

For the record , the folder was an old original DVD movie which now is too scratched to play , but i could backup on time couple years ago. I have not had any issue with viruses before (I have uptodate AV and antispyware + windows defender), or episodes similar to the one I described; and even after that episode in the morning , i have normally worked all day on my pc , no slowdowns , no hidden process , nothing, everything as usual. I downloaded the file from the site: http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe. However that issue caught my attention , and thats why I am asking the author or whoever has more knowledge to please enlighten me in this matter, and please tell me if this is something related to the first execution of Imgburn on my system.

Thank you very much for your help in advance ,

Regards,

Eduro

HI and welcome to the forum, eduro! :)

It sounds as you found a temp folder - perhaps this one: C:\Users\*Your_Username*\AppData\Local\Temp (If it's Microsoft Vista). ImgBurn doesn't open such a folder by default - so I have no good clue to why it did or it was another Windows process that did that.

If you look in the settings (Main Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> tab 'File Locations' - what folder do you have under section 'Image Folders'.

Thank for your answer Cynthia. I use XP , and hadnt changed any of the default folders , and the folder in question was the root of a slave hard disk where i Had outputted the ISO. I really dont know what this could be, had never had this issue happen before.

If you or anyone else has any idea what this could be , i will greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,

Eduro

HI and welcome to the forum, eduro! :)

It sounds as you found a temp folder - perhaps this one: C:\Users\*Your_Username*\AppData\Local\Temp (If it's Microsoft Vista). ImgBurn doesn't open such a folder by default - so I have no good clue to why it did or it was another Windows process that did that.

If you look in the settings (Main Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> tab 'File Locations' - what folder do you have under section 'Image Folders'.

Dear Lightning Uk! ,first of all, thanks for taking the time to look upon my issue. Second , well I think the latest removal tool from MS is from last month (july) and I had all windows updates already when I installed Imgburn. Plus the exe file from them is mrt.exe , and not what I described. Also that " hidden temp" folder was created on the root of an slave disk , inmediately upon closing Img Burn for the first time. I know it sounds rare , but I know what I saw. Maybe If I hadnt seen it , I would be writing wonders about the program , because it really seems to be well written and serves its fucntion well.

That said , i beg you to please give another check at the link of your program I wrote above, to see if its maybe a programming bug , or maybe some third party had replaced it , I dont know. Meanwhile my AV provider had told me , it seems like a malware (not your program , but the issue itself, whether it was caused by Img burn or not , they are analyzing it now) . I will do the steps provided by them to check my pc and see what results of all this.

I hope you dont find my post offensive , because thats not my intention. I just want to resolve this issue whatever it is , and move on. If you find something of your side , please tell me.

Much Regards,

Eduro

The hashes on ImgBurn's Download page are there exactly so that you can check if the installer was downloaded OK/isn't corrupt. After that the problem could be with your computer/operational system/antivirus solution.

ImgBurn.exe doesn't launch any other program other than ImgBurnPreview.exe, and even then it's only launched to preview layerbreak positions when burning dual-layer DVDs. ImgBurn also doesn't download any other programs or components.

Have you scanned your computer for malware with other programs?

Hi everyone , this is just to report that both my AV and Antimalware solutions have reported the setup file of ImgBurn as clean.

I wanted to clear this out , because If I came here claiming the program could cause some anomaly on my PC, I also have to be prompt to dispel the issue upon clarification for others prospective users to feel safe about installing the program.

What I saw , might have well been a microsoft update or something I happened to witness at the wrong time and place :) LOL

Well , once again , thanks to Lightning UK for this great tool.

Regards,

Eduro

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.