Media Information:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-4551A 1-07 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

post-1-1139774398_thumb.png

post-1-1139834302_thumb.png

the phillips media

I wonder if a liteon would confirm the spike or minimize it?

Edited by chewy

For my edification, to further my aspiration to join the vaunted ranks of the Beta Team (I know I'm not :worthy: but I can dream, can't I? Plus lightning seemed to think I already was a BT member :thumbup: )...

What exactly's meant by a "spike", aside from the literal meaning of course.

I don't think the mb/gb amount even comes into it. It seems to be when it passes the 12x speed.

Even 12x burns have it because, for some reason, the Nec ends up burning at 13.1x max.

In such cases, the spike is much later on - but still inline with the 12x speed value.

lightning,

one of the theories said it's related to relinking, but your graphs don't confirm, another reference said empty blocks in the data?

Have you tried scanning one of those spikes in a liteon or plex?

The benq's have a tendency to exaggerate(not good or bad) certain flaws in burns.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Edited by chewy

Surely relinking would be happening ever time wopc kicked in. After all, it must be stopping the burn for a split second so it can do it's checking.

Obviously not every wopc cut in point is leading to this spike.

Also, relinking could occur when the speed changes. Again, no spike at this points.

When the spike is visible, there is nothing else in the write speed graph to show anything is happening. If it was at a speed change point, I could almost understand it.

Yes I've scanned in a liteon and I know the problem is only visible on BenQ's. The weird thing is, why do no other drives show this problem on the BenQ's, and why no other drives show this problem apart from the BenQ's!

It seems we're in a position where neither drive can really be blamed.

I was impressed that some 16x burns on the 4571 don't show the spike, whereas 4551 and 4550 do. So I guess NEC did fix something - either in the newer hardware or the drives firmware.

I don't think the mb/gb amount even comes into it. It seems to be when it passes the 12x speed.

Even 12x burns have it because, for some reason, the Nec ends up burning at 13.1x max.

In such cases, the spike is much later on - but still inline with the 12x speed value.

I don't use the 12x speed burning with my Nec 4551 any longer. 8X works better.

Two burns - the first with a smaller image and the other a full image. Both at 12X speed.

speed12.png

speed12b.png

Edited by cynthia

here's a datadisk nec 3550 @ 16x yuden T02(8x media) dvd+r sony brand

quite informative about the lousy nec error correction

benqscanddnec5ij.png]My Webpage[/url]

ddqualityscan5dm.png]My Webpage[/url]

Edited by chewy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.