ImgBurn blocks opening DVD's

igorv

Hi. When I have started ImgBurn, i cant read (open) CDs/DVDs on my DVDRW drive. ImgBurn always lock it, even if I nothing BURN/READ with ImgBurn (or some other software).

I have to close ImgBurn to be able to read my files on DVD's.. Its verry frustrating to close ImgBurn every time when i want to read something and start ImgBurn again when I want to burn something.

Where could I remove this "option" (feature?) in ImgBurn? Why does it even do that?

Even with ImgBurn open, running as the foreground application, in Write mode and with the appropriate drive selected (i.e. the one I'm inserting the disc into), I don't have that problem. Windows detects the disc and updates the volume label as displayed in '(My) Computer'. I can explorer the disc just fine.

You might find it's to do with 'Auto Insert'. Look in the Settings on the Device tab and check all the OS options for Auto Insert are enabled. You'll have to reboot your PC if you change anything.

Are you running v2.5.0.0 with the default I/O settings?

What filter drivers are installed on your PC? You can copy + paste the list via the feature in the Tools menu.

ImgBurn doesn't lock your drive to try to take exclusive access of it until you actually burn something - and then it's released at the end.

The only thing it *does* do all the time (but I believe only when it's the foreground application) is cancel autoplay. i.e. so if you insert a disc, windows won't kick in and run the associated 'autoplay' application/task against it - and by that I mean it won't start loading Media Player or trying to install whatever is on the disc.

Even with ImgBurn open, running as the foreground application, in Write mode and with the appropriate drive selected (i.e. the one I'm inserting the disc into), I don't have that problem. Windows detects the disc and updates the volume label as displayed in '(My) Computer'. I can explorer the disc just fine.

Interesting, I do, on 6 different PC's (Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock) with different DVD-RW's (Pioneer (SATA) and Liteon (ATA and SATA). :-)

You might find it's to do with 'Auto Insert'. Look in the Settings on the Device tab and check all the OS options for Auto Insert are enabled. You'll have to reboot your PC if you change anything.

Auto Insert is "ON" (and other oprions). Windows normally open DVD's when I turn off ImfBurn (or switch to another DVDRW in list of drives ("Destination")).

Are you running v2.5.0.0 with the default I/O settings?

Yes, AFAIK. It's 2.4.4.0, I dont need new version. I'm using 2-3 years ImgBurn and it's always like that (with older versions too). :-)

What filter drivers are installed on your PC? You can copy + paste the list via the feature in the Tools menu.

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.4.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: AnyDVD

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys

File Version: 6.1.7.4

File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver

Product Name: AnyDVD

Product Version: 6.1.7.4

Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.

Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2007 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ImgBurn doesn't lock your drive to try to take exclusive access of it until you actually burn something - and then it's released at the end.

Yes, that would be good behavior. :-)

The only thing it *does* do all the time (but I believe only when it's the foreground application) is cancel autoplay. i.e. so if you insert a disc, windows won't kick in and run the associated 'autoplay' application/task against it - and by that I mean it won't start loading Media Player or trying to install whatever is on the disc.

Tnx God ;). I hate autoplay.

You should try with 2.5.0.0, it uses a different method for 'opening' drives now. Not only that, we don't support older versions.

I will, but I've found solution.

Are you running SP3?

SP2 and SP3 (i have more PC's)

Your AnyDVD.sys file is way out of date now.

It doesnt matter, I dont use AnyDVD anymore. On few other PC's I dont have installed AnyDVD and its the same.

I've found solution. Its probably bug/strange feature in ImgBurn or Windows XP. Try to restart PC, start ImgBurn and then put DVD in DVDRW. I cant open it. But, If I then switch DVDRW to another in list of devices (Destinations), I can open it in Win Explorer. Then, I switch ImgBurn back to this drive and then IT DOES open all DVD's. So, just first time I need to do this "combination" and than ImgBurn opens all other DVD's even if "Destination" is set to same drive. I'll write it there would be some problems and how is with newest version (I will install it tomorrow).

Bye and tnx for help

UPDATE:

After burning with ImgBurn, all devices are now again locked :/ . To read DVD's, i must to switch to another DVDRW and then try to open this DVD (and it reads it). After I swith back in ImgBurn to same drive, I can read it. Also, when I put new DVD, I can read this new DVD. But when I burn another DVD on this drive, I cant read anymore. It somehow lock drive after burning.

Try to burn DVD and after burning DVD dont switch device in ImgBurn and then try to load *another different (new)* DVD. I cant access it :/

I'll try tomorrow with new ImgBurn and on PC without AnyDVD (but I dont think it does have anything with AnyDVD). Maybe new version helps.

UPDATE 2:

I've tryed to disable "Lock tray during... [x] Write" but without difference. Before 1st burning, I can access DVD but after ImgBurn burn even 1 DVD, I cant load new DVD anymore.

Btw, what for is that option? Only to disable access in Windows to other programs? Because I've tryed to eject DVD during burning :) just to see if drive is locked, but I cant open (it remained locked).

No, the lock tray thing just does exactly what it says, it locks the tray! So basically, pressing the 'eject' button has no effect.

But if I remove check ("Lock tray during... [ ] Write") shouldnt I be able to open tray even if I burn DVD? :) Because I cant do that.

UPDATE 3:

Ive removed old ImgBurn, deleted "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn", installed new 2.5.0.0, started it, didn't change anything in options, switched to "Mode - Write", selected 1st DVDRW by default, put DVD in DVDRW, ImgBurn loaded status for DVD in right window:

------------------------------------------------------------

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D 1.09 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2.280.032

Size: 4.669.505.536 bytes

Time: 506:42:32 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x; 6x; 8x

TOC Information:

Session 1... (LBA: 0)

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2280031)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 2280032)

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: RITEKG05

.. <cut>

------------------------------------------------------------

and when I try to open it in Windows Explorer/Total Commander/load image from DVD with ImgBurn/anything else, I cant, I'm getting error:

"Please insert a disk into drive M:" or

"Drive not found! Please choose another: [-m-]" etc..

When I switch in ImgBurn to another DVDRW, than I can open drive. After I switch ImgBurn to M: drive again, I can again access M: disc. When I put another new discs, I can again open it (even if ImgBurn is still set to M: drive). But, after I burn ANYTHING again with ImgBurn, I cant access any DVD (until I repeat this process with switch ImgBurn to other device, load disc, and than again switch back to 1st device).

Its the same on 3 different PC's (Asrock, Asus, GigaByte MB). ATA and SATA DVDRW's (Liteon's and Pioneer's).

I really don't understand why does this happens if you say that it shouldn't.

What is interesting that when I start Nero and do copy/copy DVD (and the drive is locked by ImgBurn, in this case M:) Nero freezes 5-10 seconds and then start to burn DVD (copy (read) from this M: drive). The drive is locked by ImgBurn, but Nero manage to unblock it after 5-10 seconds (Nero usually when ImgBurn is turned off starts to read and burn immediately).

I burn a lot :) (I have 4 SATA DVDRW's on ASUS PC) and ImgBurn is my favorite burning software (just that it could do copy/copy DVD's), but this "feature" is little annoying :).

I can assure you that it's nothing I'm doing.

I simply have a handle open to the active drive. If that causes the OS to ignore discs that are put into the drive then it's doing that of its own accord. I'm using Vista and that doesn't happen, maybe they changed how it works, I dunno.

If there was a locking issue then nothing else would see the disc when ImgBurn was open - and if you simply open a 2nd instance of ImgBurn pointed to the same drive then you'll see that's not the case at all.

I doubt Nero is unblocking anything, the locking function will simply be timing out and it'll continue to burn without having locked it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.