naming of boot cds - sharing experience

biren

i just finished preparing 4 different boot cds from my 2 OSes - xpsp2 home and pro - with sp3 slipstreamed: 2 simple slipstreamed, and 2 after updating original sp2 deploy.cab with sp3 deploy.cab (following some recommend on the net - i don't even know how or what use of the deploy.cab i m going to be making).

since i am completely a moron at such things, i went ahead and booted my computer (installed with xpsp3pro) alternately with the 4 boot cds, to check if the project was a success.

in 2 instances, the boot cds were recognised and i got to see the message of : 'hit any key to boot from cd'...

in other 2 instances, after some flashing black screens, computer started from my installed OS. (instead of the boot cds)

i remebered having read somewhere about keeping the name of the slipstreamed CDs same as the original CDs (VRMHOEM_EN for XP home [oem, english]; VX2PFPP_EN for XP Professional). so i went ahead and checked the name i had given.

and it turned out that the 2 cds that had worked had names: VX2PFPP_EN and VRMHOEM_EN - XPhomeSP3deploy (the tail tag was a last moment idea, for me to identify which CD it was

- and i presume, because of the space, it may not have been read and considered by the machine).

the other 2 CDs were smartly named by me as XPproSP3deploy and XPhomeSP3. turned out, i was too smart for the comp to read my mind.

but, this is not a pathos. it is purely and simply a comedy - at my expense.

the saving grace was... i WAS able to use the 2 CDs to boot.

all i had to do was, like a wild-west gun-slinger, be ready with my trigger-happy finger to push a key (actually, i fired a machine gun) the moment the screen went black after the first loading page that lists the primaries and slaves (sorry, i don't know what it is its 'proper noun'), i started pushing the keys.... and...

well... i already TOLD you the story is a comedy, not a tragedy.

probably all of you who come here, know this.

and then, probably, some lost soul like me trips down and falls here.

either way, whoever reads is going to be laughing....

i told you it is a comedy!

ta!

b.

Addendum:

i never considered the possibility that the wrong names i gave my CDs, actually could have coincided with something which could be the REAL cause of the booting problem, and not my naming.

wouldn't hv realised that if it was not for LUK's statement below...

sorry folks... thanks LUK.

Edited by biren

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.