FindFirstFile Failed, Reason: Access is denied

Anagoge

I'm trying to make a backup of my C:\Users\MyUserName directory under Windows 7 64-bit using ImgBurn 2.5. I bring up the advanced layout editor dialog and add C:\Users\MyUserName to the disk layout, but the log then reports lots of stuff like this:

E 02:54:49 FindFirstFile Failed!

E 02:54:49 FindFileName: C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Application Data\*

E 02:54:49 Reason: Access is denied.

E 02:54:50 FindFirstFile Failed!

E 02:54:50 FindFileName: C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\ElevatedDiagnostics\*

E 02:54:50 Reason: Access is denied.

E 02:54:50 FindFirstFile Failed!

I'm logged in as the user in question. The same errors happen if I right-click the shortcut to run ImgBurn as administrator. I have skip hidden/system files off, and everything else is the default settings. "AppData\Local\Application Data" is a junction (some kind of symbolic link) and explorer does not allow "viewing inside it". ElevatedDiagnosticsis a protected directory, but I assumed that running ImgBurn elevated as administrator would allow access to it, since it asks for elevation when opening it in explorer. Should ImgBurn have an "Skip Junctions" setting to hide this error?

Edited by Anagoge

I don't like hiding errors.

It's always better to see them and understand why they're there.

I understand your point, but the problem is that with a few dozen of these junction and access denied errors, it is very easy to miss any "real" errors (defined by me as problems that I do care about, and I don't care about backing up junctions, etc.). I understand basically why the errors show, I've investigated and verified them, and now I don't want to see them again, since they are just clutter to me.

I take the same approach to programming - I modify my code such that there are no warnings/hints from the compiler so that when I do later see hints/warnings/errors, I know they are new issues I do need to investigate, and they are never lost in a sea of old hints/warnings I have already verified are not a problem.

Ok, I've added options for 'Reparse Point' (a.k.a Junction) file/folders similar to the existing ones for 'Hidden' / 'System' files/folders.

So basically, you can opt to include them when ImgBurn recursively scans the subdirectories and you can opt to log any that are skipped (when not being included).

If you opt to include them then the log will be identical to the one you're currently seeing.

If you don't, you'll get lots of 'Skipped Reparse Point Folder: X' warnings in the log.

If you don't and you disable logging of skipped reparse point files/folders, you'll get nothing in the log.

Hopefully that covers everything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.