Slow Create Image from Disc

VideoRoy

Hello,

I am having a problem I have not run into before on my newly built computer. I cannot seem to get over 2.0x average read speed while creating and image from my disc. All my discs are unencrypted home video type discs and I have not had the problem on my old computer so I am guess it is my setup somehow.

My new computer is actually quite fast with a SATA HDD and SATA DVD-RW which is my first SATA computer. I checked DMA and the HDD is DMA6 and DVD drive is DMA5 so I do not believe that is the problem. Writing speed is normal at whatever speed I set it so it is just reading / creating image. This is also my first computer runing Win7 x64 so wondering if that has something to do with it although the program runs great other that the slow image create.

I tried a couple of different things and setting the Read to Max then 8X but it is always the same result of about 2.0x. I am sure I am doing something wrong but cannot seem to figure it out.

Any help appreciated.

Your drive might just limit the speed to 2x on DVD Video - to keep the noise down.

Try reading a data DVD instead and see if it's any quicker.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot this evening when I can spend some more time troubleshooting. I did try a couple different video discs that I created from my DVD-Recoder and from Studio SW but did not try any data discs.

My older Liteon LH-201AH did not have these issues or my other brands of drives so I would not have thought of that.

If my ripping speed is really limited that will be very disappointing since I do a lot of archiving of home videos.

Thanks for the help, I will report back the results.

Your drive might just limit the speed to 2x on DVD Video - to keep the noise down.

Try reading a data DVD instead and see if it's any quicker.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot this evening when I can spend some more time troubleshooting. I did try a couple different video discs that I created from my DVD-Recoder and from Studio SW but did not try any data discs.

My older Liteon LH-201AH did not have these issues or my other brands of drives so I would not have thought of that.

If my ripping speed is really limited that will be very disappointing since I do a lot of archiving of home videos.

Thanks for the help, I will report back the results.

After booting up this evening, everything is working fine now and rip speeds are back to normal. I was working pretty late last night but I cannot tell you what changed.

The only things I was doing last night was create images with ImgBurn and playing the discs in VLC to make sure they worked. I was thinking that maybe VLC somehow locked the drive into only reading 2x but I have tested now again after running all the steps and it still works fine.

A ghost in the machine somewhere so I will keep and eye on it and see if it happens again and what I was doing before that. Nice to know a cold boot will get me back though.

Thanks for the help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.