Smileys

Pain_Man

Amigo, I am half redneck myself. My mother's from Texas. My great-grandfather came to Texas from Mississippi in a covered wagon in 1880. I have relatives from all the Deep South states (except Louisiana, which really ain't the Deep South).

And my great-great grandfather and six of his brothers fought for the South in the Civil War.

(Another great-great uncle--from Georgia--fought for the Union.)

I can also do a flawless Texas accent. My other Southern accents are pretty good as well. All I need to complete the picture is a lobotomy and a Confederate tatoo on my shoulder.

Seriously, I really only have two problems with (some of) my redneck relatives: some of them are racists (they're genuinely unaware that African-Americans have any other appellation than one that starts with "n") and chewing tobacco.

I have so many first, second and third cousins in Texas they can't be counted*. (I even tried to, how do my British cousins put it?, shag one of my third cousins 15 years ago; unfortunately her mother was too vigilant and, uniquely, managed to defeat me. In my defense, I didn't have enough time. If they'd been in town longer I'd have accomplished my goal. Ironically, the mother was just in town for my grandmother's--her aunt's--80th birthday. And the object of my then ulterior intentions has gained a hundred pounds :( )

*That also counts for Massachusettes where my Dad's from. He's got 54 first cousins.)

Well, I certainly hope she's better looking than I am julli-chicken.gif.

She's just a plain good looking country gal who can out cuss, out chew, out shoot, out drink and out ride me, in fact you'd probably call here a redneck seeing as you are a confirmed West coaster...... =))

Edited by Pain_Man

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vol--I'm afraid ya lost me. Brit suds are quite popular over here though we do like 'em colder than y'all. (I do know it's a myth that Brits like to drink their beer warm.) I used to love Guiness (sadly my medication severely limits my intake of Liffey water).

As for lagers, imo, the world's best is a NZ beer, Steinlager.

As for major American beers: fizzy water. :&

She's just a plain good looking country gal who can out cuss, out chew, out shoot, out drink and out ride me, in fact you'd probably call here a redneck seeing as you are a confirmed West coaster...... =))

in the American sense or the Brit Lager lout sense :lol:

What's up with the animus toward MJ?

I wouldn't call it animus. After all, I wouldn't, say, call for the man's execution, or anything like that. :) My "problem" with him would be, I suppose, similar to my problem with many in his position: not the man, per se, but those who adulate him and put him up on a pedestal that is far, far too high. Thus, unnecessary. For instance, is it too much to ask for people to not be stupid enough to require a ball player to pop up on the screen and try to instill order amongst the populace? Again, the idea that it seems necessary to almost deify people in order to get others to just behave. ;)

how do my British cousins put it?, shag one of my third cousins 15 years ago;
=))

I've tried to educate the missus in our slang and it sounds so weird to hear an America pronounce words that we use on a daily basis. :P

What's up with the animus toward MJ?

I wouldn't call it animus. After all, I wouldn't, say, call for the man's execution, or anything like that. :) My "problem" with him would be, I suppose, similar to my problem with many in his position: not the man, per se, but those who adulate him and put him up on a pedestal that is far, far too high. Thus, unnecessary. For instance, is it too much to ask for people to not be stupid enough to require a ball player to pop up on the screen and try to instill order amongst the populace? Again, the idea that it seems necessary to almost deify people in order to get others to just behave. ;)

This certain isn't animus. The previous post sounded like you didn't like him. Not that this is a big deal. He ain't my cousin. And there are plenty of celebrites I detest (George Clooney, Susan Saradon, Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand, to name a few...)

I was just curious.

Jordan certainly had a dramatic effect on shoe sales but I doubt anyone went, "Ball Park franks! Fuck! We have to have them NOW!!!!"

Of course, I could be wrong. ;)

If you were to say this My "problem" with him would be, I suppose, similar to my problem with many in his position: not the man, per se, but those who adulate him and put him up on a pedestal that is far, far too high. about Elvis, then I'd agree. Elvis had been virtually deified. :worthy: I don't get that shit at all. And I seriously doubt Elvis would either.

how do my British cousins put it?, shag one of my third cousins 15 years ago;

=))

I've tried to educate the missus in our slang and it sounds so weird to hear an America pronounce words that we use on a daily basis. :P

It sounds equally odd to hear American slang with a British accent.

On the other hand why is that Brits (Aussies and New Zealanders) can so easily master American accents while most Americans, even actors, can't master British accents? Brad Pitt lost a role in a Guy Ritchie (Mr. Madonna) flick because he couldn't pull off the accent.

I realize there are something like 50 different dialects or accents in England alone and that may have something to do with it. I once surprised the hell out of a British kid when I was about 13 by guessing that he was from the East End of London. I have an ear for accents, languages, etc.

I can do a pretty passable generic Brit accent but I don't kid myself that I'd fool an actual Briton more than about ten seconds. I had have to live over there for a good six months or so before I could "pass".

I know too little about your culture. And our cultures have diverged a great deal in the 400 years English people have been on this side of the Pond.

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.