best method to make a DVD9 backup

dgedie

Hello,

sorry for my poor english but I am a french guy. I would like to have an advise concerning the best way to make a commercial DVD9 backup for my kids.

One friend of mine use the followin method to make jis DVD9 backup

1) Ripping in file mode using combination of cloneDVD and anyDVD (elimination of the break layer)

2) Opening of the DVD structure with DVDremake to check if everything is OK (and modification if necessary)

3) Creation of an iso file using Imgtool burn (which creates automatically a break layer)

4) Burning with Imgburn

To my mind, as the break layer is set automatically by Imgtool, we can not be sure that the position of the break layer is the same as the original DVD.

I read a lot of informations on the forum concerning the best way to make a DVD9 backup. If I well understand, people first create an ISO file (+mds file) with dvddecrypter and then burn the file choosing the mds file in Imgburn. To my mind, the position of the break layer is also exactly the same that the original one, as informations are contained in the mds file. That is not true with the first method to my mind.

Could you please help me to choose the best method between both ? I precise that I will burn my backup on DVD+R DL and I would like, if possible, obtain the same structure that the original one, but maybe this is not possible with DVD+R DL media, I don't know.

Please help me. Regards

Edited by dgedie

Sorry this is a real tricky one for this forum - we cannot offer help or advice on how to make a back up of your DVD, as this will nearly always involve the removal of copy protection.

We can help with issues relating to burning of the your image files with ImgBurn tho.

Unfortunately your question covers both ripping the DVD to your HDD and then the best way to burn the image back.

ok, I am not interested by the method for ripping. I know that it is not the matter of this forum.

But if you can tell me what is the best way for burning, I am interested.

I would like to know what are the differences between 2 methods, essentially on the break layer.

Thanks

Edited by dgedie

ok, but what's wrong if I choose the mds file to burn a DL DVD ?
Nothing at all, that will work just fine.
The break layer of the source is respected, so it is ok or not ?

Yes, it is, always use this if you have one, the comments made were more directed if you do not have one. (MDS)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.