What Is the 'Seamless' Option?

357Mag

Greetings.

I'm new to ImgBurn, and I love the program. I'm just wondering what the SEAMLESS option is and what are the downsides to checking it.

I've got the Pioneer BDC-202 and Sony AW-Q160S (Blu-Ray) drives. I had to learn the hard way that most DL disks are no good and I'm using Verbatim 2.4x disks, because no other disks seem to work.

While playing back movies, I notice that about half way through, there's a "bump" and the image jolts. I assume that's where it's jumping from one layer to the next. So now I'm wondering if I should check Seamless before I begin writing. Also, are there any other DL brands of disks that work, and would checking Seamless do anything to make other brands work?

I bought fifty Memorex DL disks and not one of them has worked at any speed. Is Verbatim 2.4x DL still the only game in town and does it work well with the Seamless option?

Thanks!

The seamless option can only be a problem with DVD players that don't support seamless layer breaks. So, there's very little chance your particular player will be affected by checking the option as the problem would mostly only be with older DVD players that don't support seamless layer breaks.

The seamless option won't affect burn performance, though. Basically, Verbatims are still the best DL's to go with. I avoid Memorex products across the board because of how cheaply made they usually are. The Manufacturer ID is usually CMC Magnetics, which is bottom of the barrel media.

And, yes, the bump in the video and audio you're experiencing is the layer break without the seamless option checked. I had to reburn about 100 discs because I forgot to set the seamless layer break option on them. :'(

Thanks for the info. But why would you reburn 100 disks just to correct a little hiccup?

You're right about Memorex. It makes me wonder how a company can have so little self-regard. I had hoped that several years after people learned that other DL brands wouldn't work, that some of the companies would get wise and make disks that did work. What's wrong with the industry?

I get my Verbatims at Amazon, but they're getting quite expensive. Anyone know where to pick them up cheaper?

Thanks for the info. But why would you reburn 100 disks just to correct a little hiccup?

Because I'm quite, quite anal. :lol: Actually, it's because the bump annoys me. When the manufacturers make the layer break on a DVD, they make it where it will be less noticeable. So, usually not during dialog or music. I first noticed it in The Bride Of Frankenstein at a moment where some of that movie's wonderful musical score is playing when the monster enters the castle just before he's given a drink by Dr. Proetorius. I knew then I had to reburn most of them or I could never live with myself. :D The episodic discs didn't need reburning because the layer breaks usually occurred before the start of an episode.

You're right about Memorex. It makes me wonder how a company can have so little self-regard. I had hoped that several years after people learned that other DL brands wouldn't work, that some of the companies would get wise and make disks that did work. What's wrong with the industry?

The sad thing about Memorex is at one time they used to make a quality product. I still have CD-RW's from Memorex that still work today, even now 10 years later. And they appear to make DVD+R discs with a high quality manufacturer. But, the rest of the stuff is junk. DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R DL.

The industry screwed me over royally once. Back when Optodisc made a quality product, they were my DVD-R of choice. Then, they switched to CMC Magnetics. However, this was before I learned about CMC from the forums. So, I was thinking it was my stand alone DVD recorder, so, I replaced it for $500. Then, I thought it was the DVD PC burner, so, I replaced it for $200. This was after I'd spent like $400 on 2 100 disc cake stacks. :'(

I get my Verbatims at Amazon, but they're getting quite expensive. Anyone know where to pick them up cheaper?

Depends on where you're from. I get my media from either Amazon.com or NewEgg in the United States.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.