Problem making a bootable disc.

pc1x1

Hi guys, I been having problems with my raid controller, and need to update its firmware. Its an Adaptec 2405, and here are the files.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/raid/asr/fw_bios/2405_fw_b17899_exe.htm

I tried making a bootable disc, and it did boot, but tried to install windows 98, so I did something wrong, lol. Also The combined files are 4 megabytes, so floppy emulation is out of the question.

Can someone help me, go step by step, on making a bootable iso, so I can go ahead and run the afu.exe (its part of the firmware, update program) through dos? I don't want someone to do it for me, because I need to learn how to do it in the future. I tried doing it thorough a USB drive using the HP Utility, and that did not work unfortunately, so trying a CD now.

Thanks!

You can get bootable floppy disk images in this website (may need to extract them with 7-Zip/WinRAR/etc), add the Adaptec update files in ImgBurn's Build mode, set the filesystem to ISO9660 only, set the floppy emulation parameters in Advanced -> Bootable Disc, then write the image/burn the disc. You can try on a rewritable or saving as an ISO for mounting on a virtual machine. As for the floppy disk, Win95/98 should be enough, as long as it has support for CD-ROM.

You can get bootable floppy disk images in this website (may need to extract them with 7-Zip/WinRAR/etc), add the Adaptec update files in ImgBurn's Build mode, set the filesystem to ISO9660 only, set the floppy emulation parameters in Advanced -> Bootable Disc, then write the image/burn the disc. You can try on a rewritable or saving as an ISO for mounting on a virtual machine. As for the floppy disk, Win95/98 should be enough, as long as it has support for CD-ROM.

even though the firmware sizes exceed 1.44 or even 2.88 mbs? The Firmware total is 4.x megabytes? I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

Edit: Also I downloaded the Windows ME one with noram disc, and while extracting WinRAR says file is corrupt :(.

Edited by pc1x1

Edit: Also I downloaded the Windows ME one with noram disc, and while extracting WinRAR says file is corrupt :(.

bootmec.exe was the file name I got and it can't/shouldn't be extracted with WinRAR.

bootmec.exe was the file name I got and it can't/shouldn't be extracted with WinRAR.

So I have to extract it through its exe? or do I load the exe into IMGBurn?

Also I personally dislike when they embed exe's like that, it most likely is legit, but quite annoying.

The files won't be placed in the floppy image but on the data area of the disc, hence why the bootable floppy image must have CD-ROM support.

Burn this ISO image to a disc (even a rewritable works) and make sure Verify is enabled. Boot with that disc, change to R: and your update files will be there. Tested it on a virtual machine and it's working OK.

The files won't be placed in the floppy image but on the data area of the disc, hence why the bootable floppy image must have CD-ROM support.

Burn this ISO image to a disc (even a rewritable works) and make sure Verify is enabled. Boot with that disc, change to R: and your update files will be there. Tested it on a virtual machine and it's working OK.

mmalves, can you explain how you made that iso please? Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.