Cannot detect writer

xmkmx

Hey,

Ive been using IMGburn for quite a while and I never had any problems regarding my writer. BUt all of a sudden IMG burn cant find it or classifies it as "unknown"!! I have no idea what to do! Ive tried reinstalling IMG burn, restarting the pc, but nothing will work. My drive is TSST Corp CDDVDW SH-S20N ATA Device and it has worked fine previously, ive burned at least 20 Image files. I would be very thankful if someone could help me!

Here the Log:

I 13:09:52 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 13:09:52 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 13:09:52 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,376 KB - Available: 1,648,444 KB

W 13:09:52 Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.

I 13:09:52 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:09:52 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:09:52 -> Drive 1 - Info: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ (E:) (ATA)

I 13:09:52 -> Drive 2 - Info: VWNINM V8HIBO9UV4 1.03 (L:) (SCSI)

I 13:09:52 -> Drive 3 - Info: VWNINM V8HIBO9UV4 1.03 (M:) (SCSI)

I 13:09:52 Found 2 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROMs and 1 Unknown!

Cheers,

MKM

I 13:09:52 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 13:09:52 -> Drive 1 - Info: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ (E:) (ATA)

Update your Vista to the latest service pack and look for the latest drivers for your system's chipset/storage controllers (this website or SIW might help). Also please post your Filter Driver Load Order (look in ImgBurn's Tools menu).

Thank you very much for your fast response! Im Downloading the service pack 2 and I used the windows device manager to check if the drivers are up to date and it says they are.

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.1.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: [None Found]

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Again thank you for your fast response I really appreciate it!

cheers XMKMX

Don't try and do it the easy way, visit the manufacturer's website and download them from there. The stuff on WindowsUpdate isn't up-to-date.

At the moment you clearly have some sort of communication issue - hence the messed up drive identifier being reported in the log window.

Unplug the drive physically and plug it back in again. Check both ends of the cable that goes to the motherboard (maybe even replace it)

Then uninstall the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller entries from within Device Manager (as per the DMA fix in the FAQ).

Thx Lightning but somehow this problem got resolved after installing the new service pack, it somehow recognized my Dvd writer but still with a really weird label. But now when i insert a completely blank verbatim, it tells me the disc needs to be formatted. If I tell it to do so, it gives me a weird error. It says:

W 15:09:54 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0%, 0/5) - Unknown (ASC: 0x90, ASCQ: 0x92)

and searched the forum and theres only a solution for the PMA error.

heres the complete log.

I 15:07:48 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 15:07:48 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6002 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:07:48 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,376 KB - Available: 1,737,812 KB

W 15:07:48 Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.

I 15:07:48 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:07:48 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:07:49 -> Drive 1 - Info: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ (E:) (ATA)

I 15:07:49 -> Drive 2 - Info: VWNINM V8HIBO9UV4 1.03 (L:) (SCSI)

I 15:07:49 -> Drive 3 - Info: VWNINM V8HIBO9UV4 1.03 (M:) (SCSI)

I 15:07:49 Found 1 DVD±RW and 2 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROMs!

I 15:09:37 Operation Started!

I 15:09:37 Device: [0:0:0] ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ (E:) (ATA)

I 15:09:37 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ-ÿÿÿ-255) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 15:09:37 Quick Erase: No

I 15:09:37 Format Properly: Yes

I 15:09:37 Format Size: Preferred

I 15:09:37 Erasing Disc...

W 15:09:54 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0%, 0/5) - Unknown (ASC: 0x90, ASCQ: 0x92)

E 15:09:58 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Unknown (ASC: 0x90, ASCQ: 0x92)

E 15:09:58 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:21

Thank you very much again for your help

XmkmX

Well the problem is I reconnected the drive and now I have the problem that my drive wont close ( as in it always reopens a while after you close it), but somehow it works when ever it feels like it . So Im trying to find that DMA fix but I am running 64x Vista and i cant find the tab where I can switch it. It was working, IMGburn found my drive, then i inserted a verbatim let the whole thing run , then suddenly after cycling the tray, it told me that the device was unresponsive. I couldnt open the disc drive while IMGburn was running but as soon as it closed it worked fine. And well it slaughtered my verbatim. Im reopened the IMGburn with a new verbatim but now it has the weird name ( the same as in the log above) but it didnt say that the disc had to be formatted, so Im giving it a try and running it like that. I hope that after cycling the tray the drive doesnt open again :P

I know thats alot of problems but if you guys could please help me out id be more then grateful!

thx a million times,

xmkmx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.