Extracting data files from .IMB file.

wildcatalum

I can't include a log because I can't figure out how to accomplish the task. I downloaded a software upgrade from Microsoft and it's a .IMG file. From their KB, I learned that I should be able to extract the executables, data files, directories and folders with ImgBurn, but all I was able to do was burn the .IMG file to the DVD. I can do that all day long with Windows. What I need to be able to do is install the software upgrade. I don't need to create an image file, but to extract the data and burn it to DVD as executable files.

I've been through the guide and through the forums and all I accomplished is that I feel more stupid.

ImgBurn doesn't extract anything so something is wrong there. Can you point us to the KB number? Or show a screenshot of the folder that contains the update?

As for the Log you can select the lines in the Log window (or use Edit -> Select All) then paste here as text. Logs from previous sessions can be found in a shortcut available in ImgBurn's Help menu.

I think you'll find that if it's an IMG file then you're just supposed to burn it using 'Write' mode (Write image file to disc).

The ability to burn ISO's was only added in Windows 7 so I'd hardly call it and 'all day long' type of feature just yet.

Normal burning ('Build' mode style) has been possible for ages, but that's not how ISO/IMG files should be burnt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.