Burning Locks up PC at writing LeadIn - forced to power off

RT4J

Hi,

I have a strange issue that just appeared. I can no longer burn DVDs with Imgburn. I use DVD Shrink to back up my DVDs and I use IMGBurn to burn them to disk. DVD Shrink does it's job and when I get to the back up stage and burning, my pc locks up completely with 0-1% writing the "LeadIn" (I have about 15 coasters now). I have to power off the pc. Funny thing is that I can burn in safe mode, and I can burn small files to dvd or music to cds. I am using Verbatim DVD-r media (first 20 or so from the pack burned without issue). I recently upgraded my Norton Internet security to 2010 and thought that the smart firewall was blocking it, so I shut it down and I still lock up. Are there any known processes that my be interfering or software? I am pretty sure it is software or a process or service as I can burn in safe mode. I have two burners and neither will work, is it possible that they are both failing at the same time?

I tried using IMGBurn in test mode and I still lock up. I removed upper class and lower class filters and nothing seems to work. I could not copy and paste my burn log becuase my pc is completely locked up. Here is a snapshot of log from my camera.

IMG_0256.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Sorry, here are my system specs:

Windows XP Pro sp3 (32 bit)

Asus M4N98TD EVO

AMD Phenom II X4 965

eVGA GTX 9800+

Corsair XMS DDR3 13333 (2x 2GB)

PC Power & Cooling 640 W PSU

2 X LG GSA-H62N

RT

Edited by RT4J

Update Chipset/Storage drivers.

Taken from Asus website...

Description M4N98TD EVO BIOS 0803

1. Fix the system may hang at Crashfree with 6-Cores CPU.

2. Fix HDD size may be shown incorrectly in BIOS if it's bigger than 2.2TB.

File Size 843.71 (KBytes) 2010/06/24 update

You can try an BIOS update too.

See if it works in safe mode.

Have you installed the latest motherboard/chipset drivers from nvidia's website?

If you have, maybe try again after totally uninstalling them (so you're back on the default ones from Microsoft).

edit: oops, I should have refreshed the page before submitting my post ;)

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I will try uninsalling and reinstalling my chipset drivers - I am using the lastest ones from the Asus site, I'll check nvidia's site for newer ones. I may update the bios if this fails (I am on one version behind the one posted). Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance.

RT

Hi, I reinstalled my Chipset drivers (I already had the latest drivers so I uninstalled and used driver cleaner and reinstalled). I am still unable to burn folders with ImgBurn. I use DVD Shrink to create folders on my HDD and then use the re-author tool to burn the vob files to disk with ImgBurn. I decided to try something different and used DVD Decryptor and created an ISO file instead (I use DVD Shrink because the files get 'shrunken' to 4 gb files where DVD Decryptor creates the files around 8GB and I need DL disks - maybe there is a setting that I could use to shrink the files in DVD Decryptor that I am missing. I was able to burn this ISO file to disk with ImgBurn without issue while in normal mode. Could it be a rights issue? I am an admin on my pc and I am in the Admistrators group. I can still burn the folder files to disk with ImgBurn while in safe mode only. Thanks again, I really appreciate the replies and assistance.

RT

Sounds like a driver issue. Uninstall the nvidia storage drivers and then try burning again.

You could also try updating your burner's firmware, but try doing it while in safe mode.

Hi, Thank you for the reply. Are you referring to the nvidia IDE drivers? I am not using them and I am using the windows IDE drivers. I'll try the firmware update, thanks for the link.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.