Tip for solving "No devices detected!" problem

YouZer

I just updated to the latest release of ImgBurn (2.5.2.0 for XP Pro/SP3), but when I launched it, I received the dreaded "No devices detected!" message in the log window. (It did not show "The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded", which I think is another example of LIGHTNING UK!'s curious wit even if it also indicates a virus/rootkit infection).

So I visited the FAQ and the forum and tried everything suggested, from changing the I/O interface to all the other options, and updating the ASPI drivers and all that, and making various registry changes, and even including removing the devices under the device manager and rebooting. I spent about 4 hours on this, but no matter what I tried, nothing worked!

So I visited Microsoft's support site and found this: Automated Troubleshooter for "Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media". I downloaded and ran the troubleshooter app and, lo and behold, it fixed everything! The results page it produced is attached.

If I had tried this first, it would have saved me all those hours; so I thought I'd post this to help others with this problem.

I suggest adding this to the FAQ and the sticky in this forum.

post-31724-0-19310100-1290408363.jpg

I assume you didn't have drives visible in Explorer either? They'd have also probably had a yellow triangle (exclamation mark) next to them in Device Manager.

The existing bit in the FAQ is really just for when ImgBurn is the only thing not seeing them.

The forum is for ImgBurn issues after all, not general Windows issues.

The virus stuff was the exception because it became widespread in a very short space of time. Oh and no, it wasn't my curious wit, it was deadly serious (at the time).

I assume you didn't have drives visible in Explorer either? They'd have also probably had a yellow triangle (exclamation mark) next to them in Device Manager.

The existing bit in the FAQ is really just for when ImgBurn is the only thing not seeing them.

The forum is for ImgBurn issues after all, not general Windows issues.

The virus stuff was the exception because it became widespread in a very short space of time. Oh and no, it wasn't my curious wit, it was deadly serious (at the time).

Sorry about my sheer chutzpah in offering a tip for others facing this issue even though it's not specifically an ImgBurn issue; that was rather rude of me. Thanks for not banning me for such an outrageous act.

As for your "maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded" message, now that I know you were "deadly serious" -- please re-read my OP on that point, in which I wrote: "which I think is another example of LIGHTNING UK!'s curious wit even if it also indicates a virus/rootkit infection" -- and were in absolutely no way pulling our collective legs, kindly inform us of the maximum limit of secrets that can be stored on a single system for each operating system and precisely how the system determines just how many secrets are stored there and what process or processes perform the measuring. Do you think I could trick the system by converting the textual secrets into ROT13?

Anyway, thanks for reminding me that no good deed goes unpunished...

Edited by YouZer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.