Windows detecting drives on start

dbminter

Would anyone willing to do me a favor do me a favor? :D

I need to get some corroborating information one way or another. If you have Windows set up to open your previously opened folders when Windows shuts down, please open My Computer (just open it and leave it at the default view) and then restart the computer. When Windows restarts afterwards, check My Computer to see if any of your CD/DVD drives appear as the last entry in My Computer. (This infers, of course, the drive in question that appears is not already the last one in your list of drive letters.)

I know on Windows start that Windows basically polls and assigns all drive and letters even when, basically, there's no need to even think a new drive is attached. But, something odd came up when fixing another problem. After testing various backups going back to a basic XP SP 2 install and my backups from January 1st, I've noticed conflicting behavior. That starting with February, when I start Windows with My Computer open, my 2nd and last CD/DVD drive, appears at the end of the list until I Refresh and the drives get sorted by letter. On the January and XP SP 2 backups, this behavior does not occur. So, I'm trying to see if this is something I should be concerned about. Because, if not, I'd REALLY rather avoid going ALL the way to January and trying to synch installed program versions, data files, program options, etc.

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.