Bootable ISO and media compatibility

Erick_ImgBurn

Hi, I downloaded an ISO of Windows XP Home Edition with SP3, and I'm ready to burn. Please answer these questions:

1. Is every bootable ISO already bootable, or must you make it bootable before burning?

2. May you burn a bootable ISO to a CD-RW, not CD-R, or does this increase media-drive incompatibility? (I use only CD-RWs.)

Look at image details after you load the image for the line File Sys: it will show if it's bootable

Yes you can use ReWritable media of any kind.

I even put images that should fit on a CD to DVD. In my experience I encountered problems just with old drives can't recognise new media.

Look at image details after you load the image for the line File Sys: it will show if it's bootable

Yes you can use ReWritable media of any kind.

I even put images that should fit on a CD to DVD. In my experience I encountered problems just with old drives can't recognise new media.

Thank you for your prompt reply. In general and not just ImgBurn, how do you determine if an ISO is bootable?

Thank you for your prompt reply. Then why does the maker of ImgBurn make the Windows XP ISO bootable in his tutorial if it's already bootable?

There's a tutorial for people that like to slipstream new service packs into whatever came on their disc (SP0, SP1, SP2 etc).

Thank you for your prompt reply. Then why does the maker of ImgBurn make the Windows XP ISO bootable in his tutorial if it's already bootable?

There's a tutorial for people that like to slipstream new service packs into whatever came on their disc (SP0, SP1, SP2 etc).

Thank you and Cynthia for the clarification.

Edited by Erick_ImgBurn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.