Cycling Tray before Verify - Device never becomes available!

magic144

Hi there,

I'm a brand new ImgBurn user (I have used DVDDecrypter in the past, but not the writing interface)

The trouble I'm having right now is that for some reason, even though there's been a perfectly successful burn, the tray opens and closes and the device never becomes ready again ("Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable")... UNTIL I manually cycle the tray myself once more

I'm using an LG-H10N with the latest JL11 firmware (rpc1 mod by tdb) - the media is RICOHJPN R03 (004)

Any notions as to why this should be - btw, the disc goes on to be verified perfectly OK afterwards

In the meantime, I'll try disabling the cycle-tray option and see if it can automatically perform the verify after the write without this human intervention

Edited by magic144

That pretty much just means the drive is failing to initialise the disc that first time around. No software can access (read / write) the disc until it has initialised it properly. The problem lies between the drive, its firmware and the media.

I had actually implemented an auto-retry mechanism for when that happens but that particular error code (the 'Logical Unit not ready, Cause not reportable' one) is not in my list of 'common' faults and so it doesn't kick in.

Although you could indeed just tell it not to eject, that's a workaround, not a fix. The best fix would be to try some (and switch to) other media (not ricohjpn r03) and see if the same thing happens.

Going from the 'Drives & Media' test forum, I don't think they're really all that good anyway.

thanks so much for the quick response!

interesting

drive eject/reload seems to work OK with YUDEN000-T02-00

it seems weird though - I mean the drive can obviously initialise the Ricoh disc (it works the 2nd time, and it works outside of ImgBurn...)

I wonder if it's a speed thing - it does seem to eject/reload very quickly in succession - is there a way to delay the initialisation attempt?

by the way, what is the purpose of ejecting the disc at all in between write and verify? what would be lost by not ejecting??

I had a quick look at the Drives & Media pages you mentioned - I don't know if I'm misinterpreting, but the graphs for the Ricoh R03-04's looked to have less errors for all the burners than the Yuden 000-T03's - and I've been told Yuden are the 'cream of the crop'... (Ricohs are supposed to be a 2nd-best option, so I've read here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm)

Edited by magic144

It means the drive starts a fresh and has to go through the initialisation stuff all over again.

As you've seen yourself, that doesn't always work! You're lucky in that it worked second time around after another cycle of the tray - for many people (normally burning really bad discs), it does not.

Once the tray has been told to go in (inserted), the drive will initialise the media when it's ready. We have no control over that.

Not having the ricohr03 thread open (and being too lazy to open it), I can only remember the burn on the plextor was awful.

I personally prefer the DVD-R version of the TY media, I don't find the +R's are all that good.

thanks again lightning

it sounds to me like you're saying that it will be random as to whether or not the drive intialises correctly with one of these burnt discs

I'm confused though as to why whenever I try and manually cycle the tray, the disc ALWAYS comes up OK in windows

is the OS doing something different than what Imgburn does when it cycles the tray itself??

I didn't find that media very good quality wise either - looking at the disc test forum for those:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=580

There appears to be a couple of low 90% burns and a lot of much lower quality ones. My preferred media of choice is Taiyo Yuden [TYG02], tests here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=869

Quality scores here average 96-97% and there are even a couple of 99% quality burns !!

I know which one I would choose.... I have never had that error before with TY discs....

ImgBurn just issues an eject command, it then issues the load command.

That's it!

It's pretty hard to get that wrong, even for someone like me ;)

I guess the only difference is that ImgBurn issues the two commands straight after one another - and who knows what really happens (internally) when you manually press the eject button?! I don't know if it emulates sending those commands or acts on a completely different level.

well thanks for all you help guys - I guess I can always just defeat the drive eject cycle if it's a persistant nuisance

I think disc verification (on 2 drives, LG & NEC to ensure compatibility) now takes longer than disc preparation! My NEC6500A is one picky bugger at reading, that I can tell you...

I guess I'll just keep burning away and see what comes out best

I've just bought 200 Yuden YUDEN000T02 +R discs, which I had been led to believe were supposed to be top quality - maybe I'll switch to -R later, but I've used +R since year 'dot' and not had any issues until recently with this cheaper Memorex media not being readable on another drive

one final question though - I can bitset a +R disc to be 'DVD-ROM' (in fact, the H10N auto-bitsets it that way), but I don't believe you can bitset '-R' media - are there any compatibility issues with using '-R' in a standalone player, or was that only ever an issue with +R (hence the need for bitsetting on +R)??

-R has always been more compatible with players. I doubt you'd find one now that can't read them.

btw, did you say all your ricoh discs have this error in the middle of the burn/verify?

I've burnt that same dye on mine and never had a problem - that I can recall. I am using the JJ11 firmware on mine though, not the other one.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=19071

thanks lightning

I'll keep you posted here over the next few weeks as to the repeatability of the eject error - so far it's 3 for 3 with the Ricoh discs and 0 for 1 with my TY

if it looks like it's going to happen every time, I might just switch to the JJ11 FW and let you know the outcome - I figured the JL11 would be more 'compatible' given that it's from LG and not Hitachi or from whatever JJ11 is sourced - go figure!

hmm,

the more I think about it, JL11 hasn't actually been released by LG, so I wonder where it comes from...

perhaps I should stick to using my 4167B for burning until the H10N gets its first official LG update (I think we're up to fw DL13 on that one..., so some of the media strategies should have been ironed out by now!!!)

sure, the JJ11 is supposedly from Hitachi

and the JL11 is supposedly from LG

but I don't know how 'official' either of them is - because they're not available for download from the manufacturers' websites - and since there is supposedly no utility for reading the existing firmware off an LG drive, I don't know how they could have been sourced, except perhaps as some sort of "betas" from the manufacturers themselves... (out of a side/back door in the lab somewhere !)

Edited by magic144

hmm, burnt another Ricoh this AM and the eject cycle worked fine

of course, the CD-DVD Speed Test graph has a nasty read-speed dropout near the beginning of the disc when I read it on my NEC6500A

this media must be krap

++EDIT++ Aug13

burnt quite a few more Ricohs since last time

some with Nero, some with ImgBurn

all LG burns at 4x seem to have perfectly fine read graphs on NEC - there's obviously an incompatibility between the H10N's 8-12x write strategies and these discs

also, had another eject cycle failure 2nite - think I'll just skip the eject cycle in future to save the fuss

Edited by magic144

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.