AMD V's INTEL

dontasciime

This normally ends in fighting but here i go anyways.

I have always bought Amd, as imo i believe they run better at what i want to do.

I was all set to replace my new(unused but socketed AM2 Athlon 64 3800+ with an dual core socket AM2 x2 4800+ (winchester) 2mb L2 cache when company i had just bought it off informed me that the email they had sent me earlier in the morning, telling me they were back in stock was a mistake and they could not source them.

When i remembered that Intel,s Core 2 Duo was either just about to be in shops or was already there.

So i went looking, in the past i have seen Intel chips come and go and all said they were better at this , that and in particular better than AMD,d chips, this i found to be untrue, every review i saw pitted the Intel as an inferior performer, benchmarks, my findings and benchmarks, just added to my opinion, which was that i am glad i bought AMD as Intel for all its clock speed could not keep up with my athlon 64 chips etc.

So anyway i had read a while ago about these new Intel chips and from what the reviewers had posted about their findings on these CPU's i was tempted and yesterday i decided to order one and a new board.

Has anyone on here got one and what do you think of it.

Price wise AMD FX 62 is ?540.01 and that price has dropped from ?700+

The Intel core 2 duo i choose which would seem to be best value all round etc (overclock) the E6600 ?225

This chip seems to hammer the hammer(aka AMD'S best)

The architecture of Intel's new chip range is fascinating, no integrated memory controller like AMD'S 64 athlon range and other things which would seem to make the AMD chips a better choice, until you read this http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2748 and this http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1

I am quite excited to get hold of something that seems to be on paper the start of another war between giants.

This argument is like NVIDIA V's ATI and generally ends up in name calling.

On the subject of NVIDIA v ATI, Nvidias take over of ALI/ULI was a smart move, AMD's take over of ATI was also very smart.

Nvidias take over of uli/ali was a spite move, Saying as how ATI's branching into the motherboard market like nvidia had done before it did not go smoothly, with issues with bottlenecking using crossfire chipset, usb2 was poor. ATI went to ALI/ULI to fix (Nvidia said not going to happen now co's we bought out ALI/ULI)

IMO AMD has done the same with ATI, as INTEL have some agreement with ATI, well they did i suspect, until AMD took over ATI.

don't believe everything Intel says,

remember when they came out with the P4 and the PIII beat it.

they are having to load up on L2 to match the amd onboard memory controller

the core 2's are very overclockable

amd has dropped their prices to keep market share, what's intel gonna do to get rid of their surplus P4 inventroy?

Intel have now made everything they made b4 core 2 duo worthless.

My decision to buy Intel was based on nothing Intel told me.

Results from independent reviews, swayed me me,*showing me the ?225 e6600 was every bit as good infact better then the dearer FX62 I may live to regret my purchase as truely i am an AMD Fan but from everything i have read on performance Tests by non intel staff says im gonna love it.

However I will know for sure next week once i build up what i bought.

edited at about 9.11 pm to add a 2 between core and duo and a typo

showing me the ?225 e6000
should have been E6600 Edited by dontasciime

I got my E6600 and board msi 975x platinum powerup edition.

Windows xpprosp2 installed in 6 minutes 30 seconds.

Will be seeing how encoding and some other tasks perform against my athlon 64's .

Don't think much of my athlon AM2 cpu on asus m2n32 sli deluxe

Now where's my petrol

you must be overclocking ya 3000 to get 2.5 ghz its only rated @ 1800 mhz

I like my amd chips as well, but was willing to sample something else as amd chips have gone a bit stale for me, keep buying them ie the next model up and don't get to see much difference, and would never buy the FX range as just too dear, have been tempted though, like buying my limited edition dolce & gabanna motorola V3i for over ?1,000 and its a gimmick and regretted buying it after the rush wore off.

don't get to see any difference

edit changed any to much.

Edited by dontasciime

CPU Speed:

CPU Clock 2519.59 MHz

CPU Multiplier 9.0x

CPU FSB 279.95 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 40%)

Memory Bus 251.96 MHz

CPU Cache:

L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)

L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)

L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:

Motherboard ID 63-1408-000001-00101111-063005-K8T800P$A0036001_BIOS DATE: 06/30/05 17:34:14 VER: 08.00.09

Motherboard Name Asus A8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:

Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer

Memory Timings 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:

DIMM1: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

DIMM2: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

went thru 4 sets of ram to get something to keep up with it

you wouldn't want me near that 360$ cpu!

Edited by chewy

corsair won't run 250 cas 2.5, especially with HT at 1200

because of memory dividers I had to back off the fsb from 290

that's ok this stuff(crucial ballistix) only cost 26$ a stick

Edited by chewy

He's got more fans than The Beatles!!! :D Still, he's nice and cool (but his Vcore is a bit high for no load - I run at 1.12 normally). Under full load, I go to 50C on the CPU and mid 30s on the MB.

Might go a trifle hotter now I'm OC'ing a bit (as an experiment).

Regards

I noticed a big improvement when I went from 3400 to 4800, especially encoding. Shrink went from 45 mins compressing to 55% on the 3400 (w/ perform deep analysis compress w/ high quality ticked) to 11 mins w/ the 4800. I don't normally compress at all, but I did that as a "test". Haven't overclocked either, have just cheap kingston ram, 2 Gb(4X 512). Want to get 2X 1GB so it will run at 400mhz. Darn 939 boards and their downclocking when using all 4 memory slots. I've been a big AMD fan eversince I bot a 1000mhz TBird, which is still running strong with about 24,000 hours on it. Plus they are the little guy compared to Intel, although they pissed me off with this price drop, as I bot a month before >_<

until 2/3 days ago i had never heard of a core 2 duo, id bought a mobo for a shiny new amd x2. Then i came across the new cpu charts and core duo 2 was screaming a head :o needless to say i have now sold it on and ordered a p965 chipset mobo and an e6400 :D Id never even contemplated bying an intel, id just persumed amd where in front as always :lol:

The 4400 x2 2mbcache was going to cost around ?150

The E6400 is around 5000 x2 performance at only ?160 ish :w00t:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.