BD-R vs BD-RE sizes Dell DH-4B1S

nickba

Hi,

My Blu-Ray burner is a DH-4B1S. When using a BD-RE, I can burn 25 ISOs, but they doesn't fit on BD-Rs!!! I saw a similar topic, but without solution!!

BD-Rs always shows  24.220.008.448 bytes!!

I have the latest firmware. Any tips?

In my last post I mean 25GB ISOs.

When I use BD-RE, Imgburn shows: 25.025.314.816 and I when I use BD-R, Imgburn shows:  24.220.008.448.

I noticed when I burn BD-R, the inner part of the disc is less used than BD-RE!! Is there a way to set the drive to use 25.025.314.816 free bytes in BD-R?

I've no idea about this, sorry.

Are you doing anything to the BD-R discs when you put them in the drive? Like formatting them or whatever? It seems your drive is enabling defect management on them by default, hence the smaller available capacity.

Are there any firmware updates available for it?

I've no idea about this, sorry.Are you doing anything to the BD-R discs when you put them in the drive? Like formatting them or whatever? It seems your drive is enabling defect management on them by default, hence the smaller available capacity.Are there any firmware updates available for it?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I am using the latest firmware. Is it possible to format a BD-R like I do with a BD-RE? This way I could disable the defect management...

Or maybe there is a command for the drive to disable the defect management?

Thanks for replying again. So do you mean that most Blu Ray writers use spare area disabled by default when using BD-R? Do you think this is a firmware bug or just some command that should be sent to the drive?

No BD drive I've ever used has enabled defect management by default on a new BD-R disc. I've never seen a command to disable it, it's enabled automatically when a disc formatted with spare areas enabled is inserted - and like I said before, the bd-r discs should have those disabled by default, you need to issue a format command to enable them. There's no format command to disable them.

Thanks!! When using a BD-RE discs, Imgburn asks if I want to format without using spare areas and I get the full 25.025.314.816 free bytes after formatting this way. Do you think we could send a similar command to the BD-R disc?

No BD drive I've ever used has enabled defect management by default on a new BD-R disc. I've never seen a command to disable it, it's enabled automatically when a disc formatted with spare areas enabled is inserted - and like I said before, the bd-r discs should have those disabled by default, you need to issue a format command to enable them. There's no format command to disable them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.