what's the proper way of burning 11,000+ photos on a BD-R?

Carla_Boots

This is how I always backed up my digital photos:  burn them on one brand of DVD-R(Verbatim, for example), then burn again on a different brand of DVD-R(Sony or TDK), then copy all of them to a WD external hard drive.   I keep them in separate places.  On top of that, I also back them up on a cloud server.   Yes, I know that sounds very paranoid, but as the "official" keeper of family photos, I have photos dating all the way back to 1940. It took me two and half years to scan carefully, one at a time. I could have sent them out and had them done commercially, but I seriously had doubt that they would look at EACH photo carefully before scanning them.   At last count, there are almost 50,000 photos.

Now that I have a new BD-R burner, I figured I might as well make another copy on BD-R.   My first batch consists of 11,000 digital photos.   It sure took a long time to burn them, as there are 11,000 files.   I'm wondering if I should place them in a zipped or RAR file so they burn as one single file?   Which is better for data integrity in the long run?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Carla_Boots

With that many files (and massive antivirus overhead as it scans each file), I'd probably make an image first on a different hdd to where the photos are stored - that'll be a lot quicker than reading/writing to the same hdd.

You could do something like create recovery data (par2 files etc) for the files, or do as you said and zip/rar them up with built in recovery data - I know WinRAR lets you do that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.