Locked CD/RW Drive

jayfischer

Sorry this is not an ImgBurn question per se. But after reading a lot of posts here - I know there are a lot of CD/RW drive experts here. Here is my problem.

Every now and then a program locks up and freezes my CD/RW (Plextor 740). I try to kill the process that locked it - sometimes I can kill the process othertimes not. For the times I can kill the process - the CD is still locked.

So my questions are. Did the program lock up first and lock the drive or did the CD/RW lock in turn locking up the program? Is there a process or interrupt that I can stop to free my drive? Or is rebooting my only recourse (I don't like rebooting - I'm impatient <g>).

This doesn't happen alot but its very frustrating when it does.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay;

It's my understanding that the program locks the drive so that it's not inadvertently openedduring a burn and thereby creating a coaster. If the program you are using then 'locks-up' or crashes, it hasn't released the lock on the drive and a reboot or openiong it manually with a paper clip through the hole are the only options I am aware of.

If the I/O stuff hangs, there's little chance of your system recovering. A reboot if normally the only way to reset the drive.

Like most software, ImgBurn waits for these I/O calls to complete. If they don't, it gives the impression of it hanging.

If the I/O call ever did return (be it with an error or successfully), ImgBurn would spring back into life.

If your machine hangs a lot you should check things like drivers / firmware / bios / filter drivers / cables / power supply etc.

Something must be causing the issues.

If the ImgBurn process can be terminated, load it again, and if the bus hasn't hung, just click the eject button within the software. It will unlock + eject the tray.

Thanks for the responses.

That's what I was afraid off. I guess I was hoping there was a "secret" process or thread that could be stopped to make it all right in my CD/RW's world.

Or some software called "UnlockMyFreakingDrive.exe". :lol:

that program is caller "RebootMyComputerNow" :lol::thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.