Problem writing a directory with zip files!

miocor

Hi there,

I recently discovered imgburn and I have to say that I'm in love this program. Great piece of software!

I'm posting this thread because I need help regarding the following problem:

On my hard drive I have a directory containing 36 zip files.

When I try to write a this directory on a blank CD or on a CD-RW it only writes 31 files instead 36 files.

It never writes the last 5 files (the names of the files are x-files1.zip... x-files4.zip, vendetta.zip).

This problem appear only when I try to write this directory.

When I build the iso it calculates correctly the size of the directory, but it never writes the last 5 files.

I have Windows Me, and a Sony CD-RW CRX1611.

Thank you for your help. :)

How big is the total content of the directory?

12.8 Mb

I "solved" the problem selecting in Advance -> Restrictions -> (selected) Allow more than 8 directory levels

and (selected) Allow more than 255 Characters in the path

and also

I created 3 subdirectories and I moved in them 7 zip files, consequently reducing the number the files from 36 to 29 in the main directory.

One of these 2 things solved my problem (I don't know which one :lol: ) but I would still appreciate your opinions regarding this matter.

Thank you again. :)

Edited by miocor

I'd say the first one fixed the problem, I can't see the second one being a problem.

Lightning may throw some more light on it for you.

Why don't you move all of them in one directory and see if it still works? I'm sure it will.

If the first one was problem it wouldn't let you build the image at all. Same goes for the second one actually!

You'd just get an error box and it would bomb out.

if you point to a folder with the 36 files in and press the calculate button, it should say 36 files on the info tab.

If it doesn't, I'd say they're hidden from normal search routines. (i.e. they're marked as hidden or system.)

Do you have any other non standard settings enabled in the build options?

if you point to a folder with the 36 files in and press the calculate button, it should say 36 files on the info tab.

If it doesn't, I'd say they're hidden from normal search routines. (i.e. they're marked as hidden or system.)

Do you have any other non standard settings enabled in the build options?

All files are normal rar files.

No, I don't have. I forgot to say that when I made those 3 folders I renamed also the x-files files (to xfiles).

But... today I tried again to write one CD with old folder (the one without subdirectories) as Kenadjian suggested with the nonstandard settings and I got the same error.

I've made some screencaps...

The folder I want to write on CD.

447b1hj.jpg

In build mode (notice the correct size of the folder and the correct number of files).

499j15e.jpg

Settings tab.

3yzgaro.jpg

The folder as it appears on written CD.

4029x7d.jpg

Edited to add...

I restored the default settings (in Restrictions tab) and I tried all the possible combinations.

The CD is correctly written only if I lower the number of files under 30 (I've made from 1 up to 5 subdirectories) in the main folder.

Edited by miocor

How very strange. It appears to have chopped off the last 5 from your burn list.

After your build, I suppose the ISO in ISOBuster shows 31 files.

If you have 36 random files in a directory, do they all get backed up? Is it just this directory that is being messed up?

Regards

I recreated your directory structure, built an image (only using the ISO9660 file system) and windows loaded my image just fine.

btw, you're better off enabling Joliet / UDF rather than relaxing all the ISO9660 restrictions.

Maybe that's the root problem here.

The file are physically on the disc just your OS doesn't seem able to read the file system properly and so it's missing files.

If you have 36 random files in a directory, do they all get backed up? Is it just this directory that is being messed up?

Yep, all get backed up. Strange enough, only that folder. :lol:

btw, you're better off enabling Joliet / UDF rather than relaxing all the ISO9660 restrictions.

I'll do that, thank you for the recommendation. :)

The file are physically on the disc just your OS doesn't seem able to read the file system properly and so it's missing files.

I think this is the problem, too. :)

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it and thank you for allowing me to get rid of nero, by writing this application. B)

Edited by miocor

I mounted the one I made in DAEMON Tools under Windows Me (via VMWare) and that read everything ok too. I'd kinda hoped it wouldn't!

For that reason, I'm still kinda interested in the ISO! Something obviously wrong and I'd love to find out what!

Any chance you could send me the first couple of meg of the image?

Search the forum for 'grab5m' or rar up the iso, splitting at 5mb and then send me the first part of the rar set.

Ah well I've found something interesting now.... the problem is actually with the UDF parser in Windows Me.

Well, I say the problem is with the parser, it's actually with ImgBurn but only the Windows Me parser picks up on it.

It as due to the long file names causing file entry descriptors for a given directory to span multiple sectors. Each file entry descriptor has the current LBA embedded in it and I was not incrementing that LBA value as the spanning took place.

This has been fixed and Windows Me can now see all the files (36 of them) in the image :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.