General question about time needed to make a Blu-ray disk

Growltiger

Please will you allow a general question about the total time to make a Blu-ray disk, assuming the starting point is a .ts video file about 2 hours long and the end point is a single layer Blu-ray BD-R disk.

The ImgBurn program with my external LG BE14NU40 USB3 drive takes about 21 minutes to burn the disk (at 4x speed) and a bit more time to verify it. That seems very reasonable.

I have a program called Nero Video from their 2015 package and it is a very simple little progam that allows one to make a menu and add the video file. It takes 4 hours and 40 minutes to build the files that one gives to ImgBurn. It all works, but it seems very slow?

In the past I used Premiere Pro to make DVDs and I remember that was slow too.

My computer is a few years old but it is fast - a Core i7 PC with 12GB RAM running Windows 8.1 64 bit. I can see all the cores are running at about 65% busy while building the files, and about 8GB of memory is in use. The disk is hardly being used. So I suppose that even more CPU power or a better program would help?

My question is simply this - does everyone have to suffer this extreme slowness, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

Edited by Growltiger

It depends on a few things.  In terms of time, are you saying it's taking 4 hours to burn the disc or 4 hours to create the folder containing the Blu-Ray playable contents?

If you're just talking about burning time, 2 or 4 hours is definitely longer than it should be.  My internal Pioneer Blu-Ray burner writes a single layer BD-RE in about 47 minutes writing every single sector.  A BD-R is about 15 minutes.

Plus, are these 2 programs writing the contents to Blu-Ray at the same time they are creating them?  If that's the case, I can see it taking significantly longer.  I've never created any pure Blu-Ray contents for burning, so I can't say how long it should take to create the folder contents on an HDD, let alone to a BD.

The transcoding phase may not actually be that long in terms of what I can compare it to.  I can compare it to transcoding DVD with ConvertXToDVD.  It takes about 30 or 40 minutes to create an full DVD of contents with that application.  That's about 5 GB.  So, 30 minutes for 5 GB would translate to about 150 minutes for 25 GB.  That's 2 and a half hours.

Of course, I've not idea how fast or slow this transcoding application is you're using for Blu-Ray.  Or if there's an option for 2 pass encoding like in ConvertXToDVD.

As was said before, your best bet is to find a support forum for this application you're using and ask if 5 hours is exceptionally long for transcoding 25 GB.

• 2 months later...

Hi

4 hours is not at all slow for encoding BR files, slow machines can take up to 36 hours or more!

I have an i5 2600K that I clock @ 4.5ghz when converting/encoding BR files and it can take anywhere from 3 to 5 hours with 2 pass encoding.  I'm testing hardware encoding using CUDA on my GPU cores (H.264) but I don't expect it to be much faster, if at all, than 8 cores @ 4.5ghz software encodes.

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.