Firefox's Stupid ' Search Bug

dbminter

Technically, it's Mozilla's bug, but, there seems to be a slight brute force way around it. :o

First, check out these sites I found on it:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...f7629466ba190c6

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_taf

Apparently, USER.JS can be edited to reflect this. Which one could infer means that it may be possible create some kind of import scheme to fix this manually with just a click.

Anyway, from what I could gather, at the following changes should be made:

In the Address Bar, enter about:config and press Enter. Near the top of the list, you'll find accessibiltiy.typeaheadfind and a bunch of subfields using the same boolean values. To change a value, right click on it when it's highlights and choose Toggle.

accessibiltiy.typeaheadfind

With this one, whenever the ' bug shows itself, you can manually turn it off by using the about:config and see if this value has been turned to TRUE. Turn it to FALSE and it should go turn off. (I have not actually had the chance to TEST this yet, though.)

accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart

This one should default to False, but, it more often than not is set to True. Set it to False.

accessibility.typeaheadfind.linksonly

Set this to True. If set to False, ' will allow searches in normal text. This is a really brute force kludge work around. It does not turn off the search but changes it into a search function to search through something you won't normally search through.

accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout

Lastly, this one can change the time out value before TypeAheadFind turns itself off automatically. Use Modify to change this value. And, if you never use this function like I do, set it to 1, which means after 1 millisecond, the Search function will stop. IN THEORY. Again, untested.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.