Burning a BRD 25GB OK, 50GB Doomed

Stuart

Windows 10

PIONEER Internal Blu-ray Drive BDR-S13UBK

Verbatim 50GB RE (Taiwan) Discs

Stand Alone Burners: Oppo and Sony

I have been using ImgBurn for more years than I care to remember and have burned a countless number of BRD’s, both 25 and 50GB. Nonetheless, I remain an absolute ‘newbie’ since all I had to do is push a couple of buttons and thereby rip a 50 GB BRD; that is until recently.
I had not used ImgBurn for 3 months and when I attempted to do so 2 weeks ago, I found that:

1. Burned 25 GB BRD’s play perfectly well on a stand alone, no problem.
2. 50 GB BRD’s ‘successfully’ burned (according to the log), do not play on a standalone. When one opens the root of burned file on the burned disc there is a .m2ts file present which plays perfectly well on VLC.
In addition, on occasion, ImgBurn would produce  a pop-up ‘I and O’ and on would stop at the layer break. I found (link removed) to be helpful since it resolved the aforementioned conditions, however, the burned disc would not play on a stand alone player. At this juncture I replaced my LG WH14NS40 with a PIONEER Internal Blu-ray Drive BDR-S13UBK with, regrettably, no difference.
I then explored https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the-long-lost-feature-or-how-to-get-better-burn-results-with-50gb-100gb-bd-r-dl-tl.86133/ I changed the settings of ImgBurn appropriately, but with no benefit whatsoever.
Assistance would be gratefully appreciated,
Stuart

LOG Image 1.pages LOG 2+.pages

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable on Blu-Rays as I am on DVD's.  But, you said there's an .m2ts file in the root directory of the BD?  I thought that file had to be in the BDMV folder on a Blu-Ray.  Though, I'm not sure.

I can see the problem possibly on the LG drive as all LG BD models before the WH16NS60 did not properly burn DL BD discs, but they generally fail Verifies so you know they failed.  That wouldn't explain the same results on a Pioneer, though.

Screenshot2023-08-08at4_27_04PM.thumb.png.298b8acf815c31b713b9865782216b16.pngSorry if I misled you.

BD should have read as Blu Ray Disc.

When one opens the root directory of the of the burned disc there is a .m2ts file present which plays perfectly well on VLC". This is true for BDMV and MVCHD.

Sorry if I misled you.

BD should have read as Blu Ray Disc.

When one opens the root directory of the of the burned disc there is a .m2ts file present which plays perfectly well on VLC". This is true for BDMV and MVCHD.

image.png

Okay, I took at a look at the directory and file structure of a Blu-Ray Video Disc.  .m2ts is actually the audio and video container.  So, just putting a .m2ts file in the root directory of a BD won't cause it to play on a Blu-Ray player.  The reason VLC works is because it is designed to play .m2ts files natively, which a standalone Blu-Ray player won't.  .m2ts files need to be in the STREAM subfolder of the BDMV folder in the root directory.  However, just moving the 00000.m2ts file there won't cause it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player.

You need to create a compliant Blu-Ray Video disc from that .m2ts file in order for it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, dbminter said:

Okay, I took at a look at the directory and file structure of a Blu-Ray Video Disc.  .m2ts is actually the audio and video container.  So, just putting a .m2ts file in the root directory of a BD won't cause it to play on a Blu-Ray player.  The reason VLC works is because it is designed to play .m2ts files natively, which a standalone Blu-Ray player won't.  .m2ts files need to be in the STREAM subfolder of the BDMV folder in the root directory.  However, just moving the 00000.m2ts file there won't cause it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player.

You need to create a compliant Blu-Ray Video disc from that .m2ts file in order for it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player.

To the best of my knowledge 'Ez-Mode Picker' does not have a Mode for converting a File to a Folder, so I converted an m2ts File to a Blu Ray folder using tsMuxer. I then burned the BDMV Folder. Once again the disc would play on my computer but not on a Stand Alone Player.

A couple of questions, if you please:

1. What am I doing wrong?

2. Why can I burn 25 GB discs presently without a problem but cannot burn 50 GB?

3. Why was I able to burn 25 and 50 GB's without a problem prior to 3 months ago? 

Please find a copy of the Log for the above mentioned Burn. Many Thanks

Verbatim BD-Re DL x2 50GB

Windows 10

PIONEER Internal Blu-ray Drive BDR-S13UBK

Stand Alone Burners: Oppo and Sony

Screenshot (26).png

I've never created a Blu-Ray Video disc from scratch, so I've no idea.  I've only created Blu-Ray Video from existing Blu-Ray Video contents.  I've no idea how tsMuxer works, so I can't help.

What I can say is whatever the cause is, the files you're using to create the resulting disc are not Blu-Ray Video compliant.  That's why they're playing in VLC but not on a Blu-Ray standalone player.

You can write any data to any recordable disc.  For specific use purposes, the data has to be compliant for that purpose.  For instance, you can write a VIDEO_TS that plays fine to a DVD, but if you don't put that VIDEO_TS in the root directory, it won't play on a DVD player.  You can have a VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory, but if it doesn't have compliant VIDEO_TS.IFO, it won't play on a DVD player.

So, you can write anything to a BD-R.  But, unless it's Blu-Ray Video compliant, it won't play on a standard Blu-Ray player.

Not to flog a dead horse, but my files surely (?) must be Blu-Ray Video compliant since once burned on a 25GB disc they play on my stand alone's.

In addition, I have used Clown BD in order to burn a 50 GB disc. Clown uses ImgBurn to burn the disc.the result is a disc that plays on the standalone's, however, there is no audio. If one follows the Log for Clown, Audio is present until ImgBurn takes over.

I have been  using the default settings in ImgBurn. Might it be possible that one of the settings have been changed?

I certainly will check into the tsMuxer forum, however, since I am totally unfamiliar with ImgBurn's would you be kind enough to recommend the best place to obtain help on thIs forum? 

ImgBurn just burns what it's fed.  It would not take out the audio.

Now, there might be a possible explanation why 25 GB discs would play and 50's wouldn't.  Those 50 GB discs might simply not be recognized by your Blu-Ray player when you insert them.  That would be a disc compatibility issue with your player.

One way you can check, if you don't mind "wasting" a 50 GB disc as a test.  Burn a 25 GB disc you know plays on your Blu-Ray player to one of these 50 GB discs.  Make an image of one of these 25 GB discs you have tested as playing on your Blu-Ray player in ImgBurn and burn that image to a 50 GB BD-R.  If it doesn't play back, you know your Blu-Ray player isn't recognizing those particular discs as having been inserted.

The stream from the 25 GB copied to a 50 GB plays video and audio perfectly on the 50 GB disc, however, an excellent thought.

Short of another brainwave, perhaps you might pass this on to one of your colleagues in the Blu Ray department.

All the Best,

Stuart

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.