Blu-ray disc I created used to play on old Samsung player. Won't play on new Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic players. Why not????

howdy

I created a blu-ray disc in 2014 using ProShow Producer. I made an ISO file so I could burn multiple copies of it. The disc played fine on my old Samsung Bd-e6500 blu-ray player, but that unit died so I bought a new Sony. It wouldn't play the disc. I tried a newer (but used) Samsung unit since they no longer make players, it wouldn't play it. I got a new Panasonic, it wouldn't play it. 

I can't do anything with the ISO file; any codecs are made into it. 

I can re-burn the show from the program (ie, make one disc from the show, rather than creating an ISO file), but my only choice when burning a blu-ray disc from the program is "burn a blu-ray disc". I can't pick and choose how I burn it. 

I was able to put the finished blu-ray disc (a show you can watch) made from the ISO file onto my computer's blu-ray player, transfer the show file (not the ISO, but the show file from the playable blu-ray) to my desktop, and watch the show using VLC. I tried to convert the file with AnyVideoConverter from the current file to say an MP4 file, but AVC wouldn't do it. 

Can IMGburn convert this file into something my Sony blu-ray player will play?

ImgBurn does no conversion.

The only thing I can think of in this case depends on what you're trying to feed into your Blu-Ray player.  Is there a BDMV folder in the root directory of the BD disc?  What might have happened, even though it's a little unlikely in that direction but more likely in the other, is that your older Blu-Ray player supported playing container files directly from a Blu-Ray disc and your newer players don't.  Your newer players may be looking for a BDMV folder to play and don't support playing container files.  It depends on what you put on the BD recordable disc.

29 minutes ago, dbminter said:

ImgBurn does no conversion.

The only thing I can think of in this case depends on what you're trying to feed into your Blu-Ray player.  Is there a BDMV folder in the root directory of the BD disc?  What might have happened, even though it's a little unlikely in that direction but more likely in the other, is that your older Blu-Ray player supported playing container files directly from a Blu-Ray disc and your newer players don't.  Your newer players may be looking for a BDMV folder to play and don't support playing container files.  It depends on what you put on the BD recordable disc.

If that's the case....... how do I change it? What can I do to get the disc to play? I'm currently burning a blu-ray of the file using IMG burn, but I have no control how it burns it, ie I can't tell it to burn with a BDMV folder or not. I just now output a blu-ray from the video file (not the ISO but the video file) with IMGburn along with having it verify the disc, but it won't play. 

Well, it depends on what you're burning.  There's nothing to "change."  If you're burning a container file to the BD and your players don't support playing container files, you need to convert the files to BDMV compliant BD Video compliant files.  As to what can convert a file to a BD, you'd have to search for that as I don't do BD Video discs.

I guess to make it easiest, what exactly are you burning to the BD?  What files/folders names?

On 8/30/2023 at 4:38 PM, dbminter said:

Well, it depends on what you're burning.  There's nothing to "change."  If you're burning a container file to the BD and your players don't support playing container files, you need to convert the files to BDMV compliant BD Video compliant files.  As to what can convert a file to a BD, you'd have to search for that as I don't do BD Video discs.

I guess to make it easiest, what exactly are you burning to the BD?  What files/folders names?

The original ProShow Producer file is what I'm trying to get to play. And since it won't play, that's what I'm trying to change into a different format, hoping to get it to play. I'm not sure what the original show is in, but when I transfer that from the blu-ray disc (that won't play on my blu-ray player, and I'm not sure what type of files those are) to my computer, the computer (via VLC media player) sees the file as an m4ts file. Since that file on the blu-ray disc won't play on my blu-ray player, I'm trying to change the m4ts file on my computer into anything that my blu-ray player CAN play. Any suggestions? 

Handbrake might work.  It will convert full Blu-Ray discs to container files and it has an option to load individual files.  But, I don't know whether Handbrake will convert a single existing M4TS file or not.  But, you can try it.

However, the underlying problem still exists.  If your Blu-Ray player doesn't support playing container files natively, then there's no need to do a conversion.

I never did BD video discs so I am not familiar with this but as you mentioned ProShow Producer I thought I chime in...

I don't know what output you've got from ProShow Producer back in 2014 but I just did it to try out.

I opened the last compilation made with the program and selected Blu-ray to publish.

Captur.PNG.de7c33ade017367e7a686a70858c88eb.PNG

It complained it didn't find the CD drive. I was expecting to complain for a BD drive as I don't have one but it just asked for CD drive. Anyway just got over it an created an ISO file. Mounted the ISO in Virtual Clone Drive to see what's in it. It has two folders BDMV and CERTIFICATE. BDMV has a bunch of other folders in it and other folders and files under the branch. CERTIFICATE is empty.

Started VLC and go to Media > Load a disc... select Blu-ray hit Play. VLC showed an error screen about not having Java installed  for playing back the menu. Got rid of the error and the show played fine.

My assumption is that the ISO it created is fine and respects the BD standard and if it would be put on a BD media it should play in standalone player.

Now, is the disc from the 2014 produced the same as I explained? It has the correct BDMV folder and CERTIFICATE? If its something else, you can't expect the standalone player to run it as a BD disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.