ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11 - Rewritable Discs Issue.

cvmanjoo

WOW!  Is ASUS UTTERLY clueless!  Here's the last e-mail I sent them.  Quote:

Well, I've got news for you.  Someone needs to get up to date!  I just got one of these units from Amazon.com and ImgBurn lists the firmware as 3.11!  Here's the log entry for the device on look up search:

I 15:31:17 -> Drive 5 - Info: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.11 (D:)

You may have meant there is no firmware update package for 3.11 and 3.10 was the last firmware update package released into the wild by ASUS, but ASUS HAS developed a 3.11 firmware that appears only to be on models that ship directly from ASUS factories.

Unquote

Here's ASUS reply to that:

"Thats good news let me know if the issue is resolved."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a few extra minutes to run some other tests.  They weren't really necessary, but they were quick, so I ran them.

CD Audio disc read to image test passed on the following media:

Memorex CD-R

Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO inkjet printable CD-R

Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO branded surface CD-R

Memorex 24x Ultra High Speed CD-RW

I am a tad bit concerned about the read speed of Memorex Ritek 2x BD-RE.  I read in a bootable DVD image written to a BD-RE that was about 800 MB, but took 1 minute to read in at only 2.8x.

I 16:17:51 Source Media Type: BD-RE (Disc ID: RITEK-BW1-001)

I 16:17:51 Source Media Size: 801,112,064 bytes

I 16:19:06 Average Read Rate: 11,176 KiB/s (2.5x) - Maximum Read Rate: 12,163 KiB/s (2.8x)

Of course, this was a very small data set.  A larger set might read faster.

Some more tests I had a chance to perform:

Disc image read of a bootable DVD written to Memorex Ritek 2x BD-RE: Passed.

Bootable DVD image written to Memorex Ritek 2x BD-RE: Passed.

Booting of bootable DVD image written to Memorex Ritek 2x BD-RE: Passed.

Playback test of Audio CD of Memorex 24x Ultra High Speed CD-RW: Passed.

This is the last of the major tests, save for 6 DVD+RW playback tests, but I don't know when I'll have the chance to test those.  And a few small tests, like Audio CD track extraction.

I did find one drawback.  Like with the LG WH16NS60, 16x Verbatim BD-R only write at 12x max.  Now, 12x was the maximum set write speed.  Actual write speeds may get to 16x, but I doubt it.  This BD-R I wrote didn't even get to 10x because it was less than half capacity.

Now, this isn't the same as a BD Video disc test, but what I did was I had 2 DVD+R DL's of DVD Video of some home movies.  I copied the VIDEO_TS folders of both discs to a temporary location and burned them to a BD-R.  I then used DVDShrink to read back in the VIDEO_TS contents from the BD-R and write new VIDEO_TS outputs.  No visible errors and no write abends.  Write operations completed okay.

I do feel the need to pass this along.  It appeared to be a fluke, but it did happen, so it's worth noting.

I had a DVD-R of home movies converted to DVD Video.  I know this disc was playable because after I created it just the other day, I read it to an image file with ImgBurn, loaded the image file in DVDShrink, and wrote a new VIDEO_TS output to test it.  It passed.  Sunday, I put the same disc back in and copied the VIDEO_TS folder in File Explorer, but it would not play or load in anything, even DVDShrink.  I put the disc back in today and read it back into an image that did read properly in DVDShrink.

So, I haven't quite figured it out yet.  It may have just been a fluke.  It may have been a issue with the USB enclosure.  On the LG WH16NS60, you have to sometimes turn off the enclosures and turn them back on before Windows will recognize data from DVD's.  Some kind of Windows bug.  A similar one may have happened in this case.  Plus, I've been unable to reproduce the issue.  Sunday, I copied another DVD-R of home movies the same way without issue just before the one I described above.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd better pass this along.  I had an audio CD where when I inserted it into the ASUS, ImgBurn got stuck in an infinite loop of Adding Devices and Removing Devices attempting to read it.  When I put the disc in my Pioneer, it was fine.

It happened a 3rd time.  All these discs were in the same boxed set from BBC Audio.  So, it could be isolated to just this boxed set.  I have another boxed set coming up BUT it's ALSO from BBC Audio.  Plus, there's no guarantee this incompatibility is limited to JUST the ASUS drive.  It may be a case of incompatibility between the ASUS and the OWC enclosure it's in.  With a VanTech enclosure, this issue may not be present.

It appeared to be a fluke centered on the authoring of those 5 discs on which it ultimately happened to.  I then processed 3 more BBC Audio CD's followed by 5 more and then 5 more again, all 10 also from BBC Audio.  No issues with those.

Of course, the only discs it happened to were 5 of the 14 discs in the boxed set that I bought the set for!  The story of my life...

Just had my first write failure.  On Layer 0 of an MKM 8x DVD+R DL.  And it wasn't even a full Layer 0.  The failure wasn't at the layer change.

Could be a fluke.  Won't know until 2 more failures in a row followed by swapping in the known working LG WH16NS60 and a disc from the same cake stack.

Hopefully, it was just a fluke.  The next disc in the stack was fine.  And the previous disc was one of 3 at the bottom of the stack.  And this was a newer stack.  I won't know for sure unless it repeats with regularity.

Had another failure.  This time high quality AZO DataLife Plus Verbatim branded CD-R.  Hopefully, it's another fluke, but I am worried about these numbers of "flukes" that are now appearing.  I have to wonder if the tests that PASSED were flukes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.