ImgBurn, Audio CD's and DirectShow decoders

Hello everyone! Hope you are all doing great.

Here's a possibly silly and quite belated concern:

I've started burning Audio CD's again, using .cue files that point to .flac files. If I am getting it correctly, the system uses the default FLAC decoder to decode the files on-the-fly, and pass them to ImgBurn for burning.

My concern is what the decoder might be doing to the audio. In this case, the excellent LAV Filters (its tray icons appear during burning).

In the attached, you can see a few options that may affect audio output, namely Mixing and Clipping protection. In the current configuration, Mixing shouldn't be an issue.

So, the question here is: can the LAV Filter settings (or any other DirectShow filter that may be used during Audio CD burning) interfere with what actually ends up in the CD, or is this all irrelevant and taken care of centuries ago?

Thanks

ImgBurn-LAV Filters.png

I don't use LAV.  I use madFLAC to do my FLAC processing to make Audio CD's in ImgBurn.  In all the time, like 15 years or so, I've been using madFLAC, I've never had it interfere with any audio processing in ImgBurn or any other audio/video application I've used.

While it seems madFLAC is pretty standard with ImgBurn, while not as convenient, I use Foobar2000 to convert FLAC back to standard WAV temporarily anytime I want to burn a standard Audio CD.

but on Linux it appears I don't have much choice as, at least to my knowledge, madFLAC can't be setup on ImgBurn on Linux. so my ImgBurn is just on a basic installation which it can directly use WAV files without issue.

so I guess the general point is... even if you can't get any special stuff (madFLAC etc) working with ImgBurn, as long as ImgBurn installs and it's basic function works, you can do what I do to create a standard Audio CD with ImgBurn.

Posted (edited)

Yes, I was more concerned about on-the-fly decoding which would apply to any kind of audio file (.flac, .mp3 etc.) when burning an Audio CD. Of course, if we already have .wav files there's no on-the-fly decoding involved.

However, it's quite possible these .wav files have been decoded with the exact same method as on-the-fly decoding. So I guess the question remains: does one need to be careful of filter/decoder settings when decoding/extracting files to .wav? Here are some further LAV Audio settings which may affect the final .wav output:

LAV Audio.png

Edited by Yesallright

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.