How to choose layer break position

mumdigau

Hello,

In general, I do image creation and burn (with PgcEdit and ImgBurn) in one go. This time, I did an intermediate step after image creation: I used dvdisaster to add error correction data to the image. Usually, these data are stored separately. As the disk to burn was a DL DVD+R only filled to 67 %, I decided to let dvdisaster add the data to the image itself in order to use the free disk space. But ImgBurn complained about the dual layer break position set in PgcEdit, and shows the following warning:

Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_02).

This image has not been mastered correcty for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the 'DVD-Video specification' criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue anyway?

I believe, the layer break information has been destroyed resp. was invalid due to the image modification. When I continued, ImgBurn calculated the new layer break position, and the disk was burned successfully.

My question: Is there a possiblity to have influence on / choose the layer break position instead of let ImgBurn do that automatically? And is there some kind of preview (as in PcgEdit) to make a useful decision?

Best regards

mumdigau

It's hard when you're burning an image as you've no way of changing anything.

If the program had found any cells that just happened to start on an LBA divisible by 16, you would have been shown them in a nice little window (like PgcEdit's one).

It couldn't find any in your image and so it just had to split the image in half - that's a 'last resort' type of thing.

If the program had found any cells that just happened to start on an LBA divisible by 16, you would have been shown them in a nice little window (like PgcEdit's one).

It couldn't find any in your image and so it just had to split the image in half - that's a 'last resort' type of thing.

So, in my case, it was a pure split, as I haven't seen that window? Does the window offer the possibility to select from the candidates if ImgBurn finds more than one? Preview?

Ciao

mumdigau

Yes it offers a list of all that it finds.

v2.1.0.0 (current version) hasn't got a preview, v2.2.0.0 does and will be released this month.

Thanks for feedback.

When an image is rather close to the maximum size of 8.5 GB, it can happen that PgcEdit can't find a layer break cell. In such cases I've used Vobblanker to split a cell where the layer break is as inconspicuous as possible. It would be fine if ImgBurn would show the list even though there is just one candidate or an empty list (the 'last resort' case) so that the user can stop the burning process when he is not satisfied and go back to Vobblanker (or similar SW) to force a layer break on her/his own.

It would even be better if ImgBurn itself could offer cell splitting. This would save inconsistencies with other SW and save much time (e. g. image recreation). It's close to Christmas, so wishes are allowed, aren't they?

Ciao

mumdigau

ImgBurn WILL show the list even if there is just one option. It never used to, but now a user can do things like toggling the 'seamless' flag, it's needed.

I wouldn't get into cell splitting within ImgBurn, that's more or an authoring thing. ImgBurn is all about the burning side of things.

If you use ImgBurn's 'Build' mode to create an image/disc from the VIDEO_TS files, you'll get far more choices than if it's just given an ISO.

ImgBurn WILL show the list even if there is just one option. It never used to, but now a user can do things like toggling the 'seamless' flag, it's needed.

That's fine. What happens in the 'last resort' case? Will the user have a chance to cancel the burning process?

Ciao

mumdigau

You experienced that 'last resort' case for yourself.

It told you that it couldn't find a decent place for the layer break position and that the image wasn't right for burning. That was your first and last warning!

When you tell it you want to continue anyway, it splits the image in half and burns it.

You experienced that 'last resort' case for yourself.

It told you that it couldn't find a decent place for the layer break position and that the image wasn't right for burning. That was your first and last warning!

When you tell it you want to continue anyway, it splits the image in half and burns it.

OK. So there is an escape from continuing if one doesn't like to.

Thanks a lot.

mumdigau

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.