Errors when verifying after a burn

KiiwJochen

Hi all,

A question for everyone here:

I have just burnt an image to a Verbatim CD-R using ImgBurn

I did it twice on 2 different Verbatim discs (one has a printable label)

The image is a special Mode2/Form1 image, and needs to be burnt that way

Both burns report a total of 9 errors in 3 sectors after post-burn verification. Different sectors for each disc.

One burn was done at 1x and the other at 2x, both on different drives

Is it normal to get errors?

Should I expect verification of ZERO errors?

Should I throw these discs away?

Should i try at higher burn speeds?

What speed do you suggest?

Appreciate your help, I am new to ImgBurn

Jochen (New Zealand)

dont throw them away discs that dont always verify do play OK on standalone players ,you can check them out and decide for yourseld

1x-2x for cd seems to be awful slow I just burn music to cd's and its usually around 32x try another speed

dont throw them away discs that dont always verify do play OK on standalone players ,you can check them out and decide for yourseld

1x-2x for cd seems to be awful slow I just burn music to cd's and its usually around 32x try another speed

Yeah well errors in music don't really matter - these discs are Operating Software boot discs for a car navigation system, so errors are a bit more crucial :-)

Yeah well errors in music don't really matter - these discs are Operating Software boot discs for a car navigation system, so errors are a bit more crucial :-)

Now check this out - I verified a prior disc I burnt with Clone CD that worked well as an OS disc, and it had hundreds of errors!

So I imagine only 9 errors is not bad

But I do want to know what is normal - should I expect ZERO errors?

And with these 9 errors, are the errors counted before the Error Correction fixes them?

Or is the error-count after any error correction?

Remember: these discs are Mode2/Form1 CDs

Jochen

It all really depends on where the errors are.

If the drive has corrected some data in the EDC/ECC regions, it's done so because it's wrong in the image.

However, the CD/Player might actually require incorrect data in those regions and so the 'fixed' disc might not work as expected.

To make the drive burn uncorrected data you have to make it use the 'RAW' write type - which ImgBurn does not do/support.

What actually happens during the VERIFY phase?

There's a couple of things. ImgBurn verifies the data written to disk against the original source file(s). This is why AnyDVD has to be disabled for ImgBurn to function correctly. (AnyDVD tries to correct the data being written which means ImgBurn can't verify the contents of the burnt disk with the original source).

Also, ImgBurn tries to read back what it's burnt to check its integrity. Cheap media usually fails this stage with read errors.

Is it totally necessary for every burn?

It's not necessary at all. If you trust your media, you can probably live without it. I verify most of what I do out of habit. The choice is all yours. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.