I/O error!

Hobbes

Ok, I take my AVI file and convert it to ISO. Now I point imgburn to it and tell it to go to work.

After a long time of it "Writing LeadIn" where my computer completely freezes up except for imgburn and windows task manager, "buffer" is full but "device buffer" is empty, while it makes an occasional clicking sound, with the read and write buttons glowing and flashing, it does this for 15-20 minutes. This "mode" seems inescapable other then waiting it out or a hard reset. Afterwords computer unfreezes, imgburn seems to be on a new task. I watch as some "retry" counter gets up to 27 then I get the following error..

I/O error!

Device[1:0:0] HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE -8160B 2.01 (F:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 02 20 00 00 20 00

Interpretation: Write (10) - sectors: 544 - 575

Sense Area 70 00 03 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: Write Error

Tried it a second time with another blank, exactly the same thing happened.

Edited by Hobbes

I updated my CDRW's firmware and tried again. This is the error I got this time.

---------------------------

0% - ImgBurn

---------------------------

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0]HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B 2.01 (F:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 FF FF FF AA 00 00 20 00

Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 4294967210 - 4294967241

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: Invalid Address For Write

Ah cool, thanks LIGHTNING!

Well I got a set from a different brand name that I have successfully burned before, if i get the same problem I'll know its the ImgBurn or the ISO image I'm trying to burn (or some combinations of factors) that are at fault.

This was the log from imgburn

I 04:05:30 ImgBurn Version 1.0.0.0 started!
I 04:05:30 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 04:05:30 Initialising SPTI...
I 04:05:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 04:05:30 Found 1 CD-RW!
I 04:06:14 Operation Started!
I 04:06:14 Source File: C:\Battlestar.iso
I 04:06:14 Source File Sectors: 179,115 (MODE1/2048)
I 04:06:14 Source File Size: 366,827,520 bytes
I 04:06:14 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B 2.01 (F:) (ATA)
I 04:06:14 Destination Media Type: CD-R
I 04:06:14 Destination Media Sectors: 359,847
I 04:06:14 Write Mode: CD
I 04:06:14 Write Speed: MAX
I 04:06:14 Test Mode: Yes
I 04:06:14 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 04:06:14 Filling Buffer...
I 04:06:18 Writing LeadIn...
E 04:33:10 Failed to Write Sectors 4294967210 - 4294967241 - Invalid Address For Write
I 04:33:10 Writing Image...
I 04:33:10 Synchronising Cache...
I 04:33:11 Cycling Tray after Test Write...
E 04:33:15 Failed to Write Image!
E 04:33:15 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:27:01

BTW, how do you set a quote etc so that it scrolls and takes up less space?

Also, could these CD's now be ruined since it was "writing the leadin" ? How long does "writing the leadin" usually take?

Edited by Hobbes

Ok, I used my percision CDR's I burned XP and other big programs on these just fine. But I got the same error messages, same just about everything (except this time I was able to use opera while I waited, I think I just lucked out this time since other stuff refused to load during the time)

By the nature of SPTI, if a command gets stuck processing, no other I/O seems to take place. That's why your machine seems unresponsive.

Pretty much anything you do will involve some from of read from the hdd or whatever, and if that can't happen because a drive/driver got stuck, you're pretty much screwed!

have you tried right clicking on the hard drive that the iso your trying to burn is stored on especially after you have had to reset machine a few times after lock ups, tools, error checking/check now, and tick automatically fix file system errors, maybe benifical to do this on all partition or har drives as well. have you also tried unticked enable cd recording on this drive.

Then try burning the iso.

Open "My Compter", then right click on the drive, then click the last tab, which should be the "Recording" tab. On that tab, the first box is what dontasciime is talking about.

Screen Shot Below:

enablecdrecording7df.png

Why should unticking allow cd recording on this drive help? I'll give that a try. Meanwhile, what fixes might I make with imgburn or the video file itself that might fix these problems?

*edited in* no dice, unticking that made no difference.

Also, I ask again, how long does it usually take to finish "writing leadin"?

Edited by Hobbes

different media, hound lg to update firmware to fix your media issue, reinstall your operating system. just ditch the discs, and try another media, nothing else you can do, other than accept it and move on. try using same discs with a diffrent iso, data.

If you got thousands of the discs, buy a different writer...

Edited by dontasciime

No, its a self built machine. Made out of mostly brand name well researched parts.

different media, hound lg to update firmware to fix your media issue,
As I said, I updated my firmware and tried a disk of another brand name. "hound lg"?

reinstall your operating system. just ditch the discs, and try another media, nothing else you can do, other than accept it and move on. try using same discs with a diffrent iso, data.

If you got thousands of the discs, buy a different writer...

Or, figure out if theres a incompatibility with the image I'm trying to burn and imgburn? Maybe another format type? Maybe some kind of setting or change I can make with imgburn? Maybe some kind of bug in imgburn thats causing the trouble, if so maybe someone could fix it? Or refer me to another freeware program for burning? Yes it is just possible that imgburn and not some hardware of mine that is at fault. :P

Edited by Hobbes

I suggest that you follow dontasciime's suggestion:

in other words try a different image, or use this authors other burning tool, or try burning image file using nero.

This should help you identify whether there's an issue with the image (if it also won't burn successfully with other burning programs) or an incompatibility between your system and imgburn (if the image does burn successfully with another burn program). If it's the later however, it's not necessarily a problem with imgburn - may be hardware or other software configuration that is at issue.

I 04:06:14 Write Speed: MAX
tsk,tsk stop that you should not have to be told that!

you have failed to tell how you converted the file to iso, or I missed it why is it that that prog is not getting slandered on there support site.

E 04:33:10 Failed to Write Sectors 4294967210 - 4294967241 - Invalid Address For Write

I think your file is just to big or your media is crap or has just crapped out towards the outer rim if you don't wish to try the new media and quit being cheap,

you can try to compress this image in shrink or similar by pushing ctrl+I you will be able to select this iso and add you a custom output size to fit just inside of the first number in the log section that I quoted if this don't work I'll take up drinking hell if it does I'll take up drinking well either way let us know I've got drinking to catch up on!

Edited by l8nights

Those silly sectors are the program working in minus numbers really.

It's actually writing the leadin area on the cd. (LeadIn starts at LBA -150, finishes at LBA 0.)

The drive is failing to write to the disc. There is nothing I can do/fix.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/80mincdr.html

Take a look at:

{CD 1049} Taiyo Yuden Unbranded (48x) 80min CDR in Packs of 100

I don't bother with any cds other than those now. I'm not sure what you're using, but 'brand' names mean nothing. It's the dye type that's important.

btw, isn't it about time you ditched your old cd burner and joined the rest of use in the year 2005 - where we now have DVD burners!

btw, isn't it about time you ditched your old cd burner and joined the rest of use in the year 2005 - where we now have DVD burners!
Nothing like a "polite" smartass. =)) Edited by jmet

lol, I'm right though...aren't I ?!

(and some people require 'blunt' comments like that in order to get the picture!)

Think of it in terms of people still using Windows 95.

Microsoft don't give 'problems' in that OS the time of day.

Drive manufacturers are no different. They'll check for correct operation with the lastest models and the most widely used discs, offering firmware updates where needed.

I've not had a CDRW drive in my machine for years now, it came out the second DVD burners started doing the job properly.

People just don't care for CDRW drives much anymore - unless it's the Plextor premium or something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.