PTP support?

Neil Wilkes

Will PTP burning for DL discs ever be added?

I need this for burning DVD-Audio/Video hybrid types, and right now cannot do so as OTP is the only option.

you got any ptp d/l media to burn to?

???

How would I know this?

The way I have been working is like this:

Create the Video_TS as usual, and compile this to a Video_TS folder.

Import this into Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator.

Author the rest of the Audio_TS

Set the cutting point in the Command Editor to PTP, setting the cutting point to the first track in the Video_TS.

Compile to Audio_TS, Video_TS & DDP files ready for imaging.

To test the compilation, use the MakeIMG applet (otherwise the IMAGER in DAC will only write to DLT or a Pioneer S201 Authoring device)

Open this IMG file using GEAR Pro Mastering Edition - this asks me to tell it what type of media the image is, and has options for Dual layer or single layer, with both OTP & PTP in the dialogue.

Select PTP & import.

Load up Verbatim DVD+R DL disc.

Burn

On playback, there seems to be a correct setting of the disc to PTP - there is no layer break glitch in any of the streams, and it would be immediately obvious if there was one. However, no pause, no glitch in audio, no nothing apart from perfect playback.

I was sort of assuming that the PTP option is being honoured.

If it were not - then why am I not getting any layer break glitch? Layer 1 is larger than Layer 0 here as authored.

If the burn is going down as OTP - with Layer 0 larger than Layer 1 - why no glitch? There is always a momentary glitch in a DVD-Video disc, unless I set the break to be at a point between timelines (I test on a player that glitches at the break, not the ones that refocus instantly)

So - if this is being written as OTP, why no glitch?

You'd get more of a glitch on PTP media than on OTP!

With OTP the drive just has to switch layers, with PTP it has to switch layers and move the laser back to track 0.

It's the media that determines how things are burnt and all DL media you can buy is OTP. No software can change that.

Simply buffering in the player can eliminate the glitch. If you mark the cell as 'seamless', it can also help to eliminate it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.